This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Photo Source: Pexels

I like older men… a worn-out cliché uttered by the masses who are “sick and tired of immature little boys”. These girls usually refer to someone 3-5 years their senior, ooh. But what about when you really mean it, and not only that but you actually live out that fantasy? What if you make it your reality and standard? Dating or meeting men 10,15, 20 years your senior may seem easy or scary depending on who you are. Either way these are people more experienced than you in EVERY way. Now you may be wondering why someone at our ripe age would seek out an older man in true romantic interest. Isn’t the first idea that rushed into your head ”sugar daddy?” Some of us are genuinely attracted to the “daddy” phenomenon and not because of daddy issues but because the older, polished man look draws us in more than the preppy frat boy. Not worrying about who will pay for your date and with that the quality of your date. Not for nothing but the cheapest date I’ve had with a man many years my senior was about $100. Yes, it was just food.

Photo Source: Pexels

Older men can also have more thought-provoking conversations because they’ve done the vapid superficial small talk in their past years. These men are also usually settled into a routine of life and career. Such a routine allows for easy making plans where you are given priority. With that flexibility also comes the absence of figuring out whose roommate(s) won’t be around, because they have their own, comfortable place. Older men are also more straightforward, they are direct with you about what they are looking for. These men can make decisions because they know what they like and don’t like and will present you with better options than just suggesting anything and everything, although when they do make you a blank offer it nothing short of great. The situation can also yield you some power depending on your character, power that is quite the confidence boost and pertains to the bedroom and more. And not for anything but these men can be extremely handsome, even more so than their younger counterparts. Who doesn’t love a nice beard and some gray hairs? These men have also learned from earlier times and have the means of supporting appropriate grooming habits, meaning they will have clean homes and bodies as well as they will actually know what to wear without getting a full breakdown from you. All in all, these are the positives of the “daddy” dating stratosphere. Are there negatives? Oh yeah, plenty, just like any type of dating. However, those will be left to another time. I’m sure you can come up with a few ideas. Also, let’s not lump my good experiences with some other large age difference couples like our current POTUS. That’s on a whole other level.

Valentina is a business student with an open mind for all things creative and innovative. She knows the real-life struggles but maintains an idealist view. She can easily be entertained on a spectrum of Gossip Girl to House of Cards with Portlandia in between.