This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The leaves are beginning to change color. The air is getting crisp. Yet, along with the fall beauty comes my seasonal depression knocking on the door. For those of us who live for the warm weather and all of the activities that come along with it, the colder seasons can be a tough adjustment. In the summer, I had such a good routine and enjoyed spending time outside. However, as a cold-weather hater, it seems that everything I love comes to a screeching halt when the temperature reaches below 50 degrees.

Getting acclimated to the cold weather is especially tolling on my mental health since I can no longer do many of the things I enjoyed when the weather was warmer. Many of the things that are staples in my routine require being outdoors. I love running, relaxing on the beach, and simply marinating in the sun. Being from a beach town in South Jersey especially doesn’t help my case; I am constantly teased by the waves and crisp salt air. Yet, what hurts the most (besides cold fingertips), is seeing the once lively boardwalk empty and all of the amusement rides covered in tarps. Home turns into a ghost town for the next couple of months.

I’ve realized it never helps being a “Negative-Nancy.” Instead of looking at the negatives, I always try and remind myself of the positives about the winter. The colder weather allows for hot coco, cozy blankets, and lots of fun indoor activities! Now that the outdoors is uninhabitable, you can start to do all of the things indoors that you neglected because you were too busy soaking up the sun!

Since it is a given that we will be spending more time indoors, it is important to create a space indoors that you enjoy being in. Surrounding yourself with cozy things such as candles and stuffed animals or photos and incense—literally anything else you love that can improve your mood significantly! Creating a clean space that I feel comfortable in has personally helped me feel so much better and eased my symptoms of seasonal depression.

Even though the weather may not be enjoyable for those of us with seasonal depression, there are plenty of fun activities to do and just as many things to be grateful for! Besides finding fun indoor activities, it is crucial to get real help and keep tabs on your symptoms. This means talking to someone about how you’re feeling. If you’re like me and struggle with mental health on a regular basis, it is important to keep up with therapy or talk to someone you trust during this time. You can find warmth in those who care about you.

But, don’t forget that life is constantly changing like the seasons; we must remind ourselves to adapt and conquer. Find ways to keep yourself grounded and take time for self-care. If the weather has you feeling down, remember you are not alone, and that the sun will come out again soon.

Lover of all things fun, food, animals, and outdoors :) Create art and be kind.