Confession: I Am Unashamedly Obsessed with the HSM Love Triangle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

I am sure many of us have seen the TikToks about the star of, “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” Olivia Rodrigo’s song “Drivers License.” The song became an instant hit and soon after, people speculated that the song was about the emerging romance between fellow series co-star Joshua Bassett and Sabrina Carpenter. Then overnight, it seemed like everyone on TikTok knew about the drama and is now just as obsessed with what’s going on.

Since the release of Rodrigo’s song, Joshua Bassett has released a song of his own titled, “Lie, lie, lie,” with song lyrics referencing the teller of the story painting themselves as a victim. THEN Sabrina Carpenter released a single of her own titled, “Skin,” with lyrics that seem to be a direct nod to the contents of “Drivers License.” I mean could the lyrics “maybe blonde was the only rhyme” in “Skin” not be a direct comment to the lyrics “and you’re probably with that blonde girl” from “Drivers License?” 

At this point, it would be hard to argue that this wasn’t a publicity stunt made to jump-start Rodrigo’s music career, the rumored new album from Carpenter, or even the next season of “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.” All of it seems to line up too perfectly between the lyrics and the timing of everything being released. But I don’t care if it’s just some PR stunt because the drama is just too good. At this point, I’ve watched many TikToks about this love triangle theory and singing povs of each respective individual involved in this love triangle. I even watched a 30-minute fan-made video that chronicles the timeline of the speculated relationships between Olivia Rodrigo and Joshua Bassett, and Sabrina Carpenter and Joshua Bassett. Yes, I am that deep into this.

I don’t know why this speculated love triangle is so addicting. Maybe it’s the incredible talent of a young 17-year-old who poured her heart and soul into this song, the bewilderment of what could be so great about Joshua Bassett that he potentially has two gorgeous women feuding over him, or the fact that I am not the only individual past their teens who is just as absorbed in this drama (I’ve had many conversations about this tea with other people in their 20s). 

Plus, all the songs every individual has released are absolute bops. “Drivers License” makes me want to sulk in the suburbs and ache over a highschool heartbreak I never had. “Lie, Lie, Lie” makes me want to seek vengeance on a terrible ex I never had. “Skin” makes me want to feel overprotective over the romantic partner I currently don’t have. 

I may be well past my teen years but I have no shame in admitting that I cannot and will not stop reading everything there is about this love triangle.

Shannon is a senior attending Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor's degree in Journalism & Media studies. Although she is graduating this May, she will be staying to obtain her Master's degree in Communication Media. With a great passion for everything fashion and beauty, she hopes to be writing for a magazine centered around both. She loves puppies and can often be found in bed binging a k-drama on Netflix!