Style

The Cold Weather Essentials You Need To Keep You Cute & Cozy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Am I the only one who feels like it gets colder every year? Even after 18 years of living in New Jersey, I am still not prepared for this weather every winter. There have been countless of times this year where I found myself freezing cold while walking to class, and each time I really wished I had been more prepared. Especially this year, when it feels like we skipped fall and went straight to winter in the blink of an eye. I was definitely not expecting the cold winds to hit so soon. If you find yourself feeling the same way, no fear, I have compiled a list of cold weather essentials you will need to be prepared for this seasons weather.

A SCARF

Wow, I really underestimated the power of a scarf, or should I say a mini blanket. I always feel like my neck and chest area are freezing so scarfs always keep me warm. When buying a scarf, make sure you get a soft one, and one that will match with your daily look. I just got a black one recently that matches with everything. Not to mention it’s long, which makes me able to do that whole double-wrapping situation.

LAYERS

Honestly, another layer can never hurt. Yet, sometimes it can feel like you are just wearing too much. To avoid feeling like you can’t breathe under all those layers, here’s a trick: try wearing a tank top underneath a sweater or hoodie which will give you space to move.

GLOVES

I always thought gloves were annoying because I could never do anything with my hands while wearing them. Until I got these black, sleek, and touch-friendly ones from Target. They were only $3.00 and are still holding up pretty well! I think everyone should invest in gloves as they are one of the least-expensive solutions to not being cold.

POCKETS

Pockets are lifesavers, so if you can’t find your perfect pair of gloves, just throw on a jacket with some pockets. I promise, that will save you. Next time you go shopping for your next jacket remember to get one with a hood and pockets!

FLEECE-LINED ANYTHING

Ok so everyone knows sweaters and hoodies are the ultimate winter essential, but recently I have stumbled across this new wonderful thing- fleece and it’s amazing. I have these black leggings that I have been getting a lot of use out of this season. The best thing about the leggings? They are actually lined with fleece, making it super soft and serving as a shield from the wind, unlike regular leggings. Also, the fleece lining still makes it look like leggings but with a twist because you’ll always be warm.

KNIT HEADBANDS

I’ve been wearing these since middle school so that must say something. What are knit headbands? Basically, it’s a headband that is both thick and knitted that covers your ears. It’s great for people who wear ponytails or tie their hair up all the time (me) because you can’t get away with this kind of stuff when planning to wear a hat.

Finally, remember to buy these items but be sure to actually use them on the next chilly day! Remember to keep a few of these essentials in your bag always and you’ll be ready for any type of weather!

Aleena is a sophomore at Rutgers University pursuing a career in marketing and digital media and communications. When she is not writing for HerCampus, you will probably find her on the go being a girl boss with a cup of coffee. Aleena loves to talk all things environmental, media-related, and fashion. Aleena loves to keep active online; you can keep up and say hi on Instagram @aleena313.
Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).