Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW
Style > Fashion

Chic And Confident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Jonathan Van Ness once said, “I don’t want the look to wear you. I want you to wear the look.” It is easy to become distracted by the color and design of the clothes that we forget about our level of comfort and satisfaction. When I think of clothing, I think of making a statement. But, that statement must be suitable for you first. You should dress to impress yourself first before you impress others. Remember this: your toughest critic is yourself. When picking out an outfit, sleek denim jeans or a comfortable picnic dress, we want to focus on three factors: comfort, style, and size.

We hear the saying “size matters,” which is a myth because you are not supposed to fit into clothes. The clothes are supposed to fit you, and when you realize that an outfit does not fit you, do not feel disappointed. Put it back on the shelf and find another piece that suits your individuality and style. Most importantly, find a piece that makes you feel good: when you are dressing, you should feel proud of your body and take pride in your good looks, because you are beautiful, and beauty radiates outside as well as within.

When you stand in front of the mirror, take a glance at yourself and utter these words: I am beautiful, I am a warrior, I am confident, and I am aware that my body feels good and looks good in what I wear. There is no objective view of how we look. As human beings, we have numerous insecurities. However, it is our choice whether we choose to listen to societal backlash and opinions provided by those who have no interest in our welfare, or if we decide to choose to express ourselves to our heart’s content.

As human beings, we need honesty, and a wise human being once said, “Honesty is the best policy.” Whether it is what outfit looks pleasant or what piece of jewelry pops with what we wear. This is why you should shop with a family member or friend, someone who knows you exactly like you know yourself. By doing so, you will receive expert opinions, and you will be able to find clothes that cater to your needs and significantly match your style. Similar to art, dance, music, and various diverse forms of expression, clothing is one form. Clothing sparks interest, joy, and most importantly, clothing teaches you the importance of looking presentable and the importance of being taken seriously.

A simple blazer with a gorgeous white top and black jeans, paired with a phenomenal pair of white sandals is perfect for giving a presentation or performing in a competition. The eyes are on you to deliver and show the crowd who is in charge for tonight! Remember this. You are beautiful, you are enough, and you will shine. Stay confident and stay positive!

JVN’s Morning Routine To Help You On Your Confidence And Self-Care Journey:

Personal Favorite Outfit Ideas:

1. Conference: White blazer with a black top, paired with skinny jeans and black heels.
  2. Birthday Extravaganza (Summer Edition): Red flowery dress, Converse sneakers and a white cap.
  3. Anniversary Party (Winter Edition): Maroon dress, white leather jacket, black heels
  4. Solo Date (Spring Edition): White top, denim jeans, Keds sneakers, and sunglasses
Anjali Ravi

Rutgers '26

I'm Anjali, and I am a Public Health major with a double minor in Public Policy and Disability Studies! I am passionate about hard work, strong work ethic, mental health, women's rights, and community service! In my spare time, I enjoy exercising, cooking, writing, and watching new movies!