Celebrating Graduation: Quarantine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This day was supposed to be one of your life’s greatest milestones thus far: your college graduation. Whether you have just graduated from Zoom University with your undergraduate or graduate degree, you’re probably extremely disappointed you aren’t able to share this moment in person with your peers who you’ve seen do amazing things themselves these last few years. You have every right to feel what you are feeling, but just know, you are special and deserve to be recognized for the money, sweat, and tears you put into earning that degree. I, along with so many others, are proud of you. Instead of spending your grad day like any other day in quarantine, here are a few uplifting ideas to get you in the celebration mood because not everyday does a person graduate from college.

Get Dressed Up

You may have already spent your hard-earned money on your regalia in the hopes of strutting down the stadium stage to receive your diploma, so you might as well wear it. Put on your cap and gown and throw a photoshoot in your backyard. Everyone loves an excuse to dress up, so ask those you are quarantining with and I’m sure they’ll comply for your big day. Take fun pictures with your quarantine crew that you’ll be able to look back on.

Video Chat Your Loved Ones

Though it’s difficult not seeing our loved ones in person, it’s important to stay in touch and keep a sense of normalcy during this hard time. Make sure to call your friends and family via Skype, Facetime, Zoom, etc. on grad day and celebrate your achievements together. Play some music, dance around, have a toast together, you’ve earned it. Remember to thank those who’ve helped you along the way, whether it be your family, friends, teachers, or mentors. They want to celebrate with you!

Attend a Virtual Ceremony

Certainly, all schools are different when it comes to how they’re dealing with canceled graduations. Rutgers is hosting a virtual university commencement for its graduating students with commencement speaker, Lester Holt, addressing the class of 2020. Moreover, Her Campus is throwing a huge graduation ceremony titled I’m Still Graduating on May 15th.  The commencement will be live and will feature speakers, music, giveaways, and much more. 12-year-old Sam fangirled when she saw Liam Payne was announced in attendance. In addition, stars such as Eva Longoria, Nastia Liukin, and Margaret Cho will be in appearance. All ages are welcome, and though I am only a junior, I’ll definitely be attending to celebrate the class of 2020.

Treat Yourself

You’ve worked hard these past few years and now it’s time to give yourself credit. Do something for yourself on graduation day because your graduation justifies it. Perhaps, splurge on something you’ve been eyeing for a while. That’s not to say you need to spend money to treat yourself. Paint your nails, do a face mask, eat whatever your heart desires. Unless you plan on attending graduate school, you only graduate once, so might as well enjoy your day.

Finishing your last semester of college online is not ideal, but it can be what you make of it. Your days of pulling all-nighters in the library, dancing on elevated surfaces, and eating instant mac and cheese every night may be over, but you will have so many incredible memories to make in the future. Remember, just because graduation is marketed to be one of the ‘best’ days of your life, you have a bright future ahead of you and plenty more milestones to accomplishment. Congratulations to the class of 2020!

Sam F

Rutgers '21

Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.