This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

I love receiving mail. Whether it be a flyer for a local restaurant that recently reopened or correspondence from my university, I bask in the ritual of going outside to check if there are any envelopes in my mailbox. It’s sort of the same feeling as receiving a package from an online order you made days ago but on a smaller, less expensive scale.

Instead of ripping the mail open with my bare hands, I use a small utility knife to prevent paper cuts and avoid the haphazard appearance of ripped paper. I find the process satisfying when I create a crisp line to retrieve the message in the envelope. Yes, I’m aware that I’m romanticizing this domestic action but it genuinely brings me joy.

That being said, I would like to take the opportunity to formally announce my campaign to bring back love letters. You might be wondering, “Why love letters?” Sure, you can easily–and quickly–send a message via text message or email, but when was the last time you wrote a letter to someone you cared about? (Do schools even teach students how to write letters anymore?)

When writing a letter to a loved one, you don’t have to be formal. Feel free to write as you would speak. That way whoever is reading your letter can imagine your voice in their mind (bonus perk: you’re living rent-free in their head!).

With that pressure out of the way, you can start off your letter by addressing the person. This can be as simple as “Dear [name],” or “To [name],”. To spice it up, you can write, “Dearly Beloved,” or “My sweet [name],”. This is the hook that will set the tone for the rest of the letter.

Within the body of the letter, feel free to share how you feel about them. What is it about that person that makes you happy? How have they impacted your life? Have they inspired you to do something? Write down anything that comes to mind when you think about that person.

After you finish your written declaration of love, remember to sign off the letter. As always, you can write down “From, Y/N” or “Sincerely, Y/N”. Alternatively, you can put “Love, Y/N” or something creative like “Your #1 stan, Y/N”. Have fun with it!

Creating a love letter is not that hard to do. The writing should come out of your heart naturally since you want to be genuine and vulnerable with the person you’re sharing your thoughts with. While your handwriting might not be the most legible, it’s the thought that counts, and with practice, you’ll become a calligraphic writing pro.

It’s a fun activity to partake in, especially when the person sends a letter back. That way, you have something to refer back to when you’re missing their company. If the relationship (or friendship) doesn’t work out, at least you have something physical to destroy.

Valentines Day Love GIF by Julie Smith Schneider - Find & Share on GIPHY
GIF by Julie Smith Schneider
Selena is an alumni of Rutgers University. She received her B.A. in Journalism and Media Studies with a minor in American Studies. She enjoys writing, attending concerts, traveling, and creating crafts.