Brighten up: Eyes, lips, cheeks welcome spring a bit early!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Lets hope the groundhog was right! As the last few weeks left of winter fade to the background, your makeup routine must brighten up so you can take the spotlight. Spring’s hottest trend is bright, eye-popping color, so I composed a few ways to use them in everyday make-up looks as well as a little something for spreading the love on the 14th!

Going to class:
Keep it simple. The new Clinique Chubby Stick lip balm is a great, low-key way to brighten up your face. Vibrant, moisturized lips, and full, jet black lashes combine to make a simple yet chic, fresh-faced look. I recently bought the L’Oreal Million Lashes Mascara (mostly because of how shiny the bottle was!) and I really recommend it. Full, smooth lashes are what it promises and it definitely delivers.

Going out:
Time to pump it up. To start your look, clear and even skin is a must. Clinique Almost Make-up Tinted Moisturizer is a very light and easy solution: my personal recommendation. Then, emphasize your eyes with universally flattering lavender and plum hues to make a bright statement. Complementary colors mesh perfectly with this spring’s colorful trend, so add in some coral blush to highlight those cheekbones. Finally, finish off your nighttime look with Katy Perry’s new black crackle O.P.I. nail polish.

V-Day:
Whether you love it or hate it, you might as well look cute on Valentine’s Day! Sparkly gold on your eyes, which is once again universally flattering, paired with bright pink on your lips makes for a clean yet jaw dropping look for this day of love. It doesn’t make a difference if you are out celebrating with your man, the girls, or ridin’ solo for the night, as long as you look good and feel better. But, studies have proven that shades of pinks and reds catch a guy’s attention more than other hues (bonus!).

Olivia is an editorial assistant at The Record, New Jersey’s second largest daily newspaper and contributing writer for GoKicker.com. She’s a former BBC Travel intern and a proud Rutgers alum. She studied journalism, media studies, and English at Rutgers, where she was managing editor of the daily student newspaper and founding Campus Correspondent of HerCampus.com/Rutgers . She was also on the rowing and triathlon teams. Dogs, summer, and DIY projects are up there on the list of her much-loved things in life. Follow: @OlivePretzel.