books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Best-Selling Books to Add to Your Summer Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Whether you plan to spend summer vacation soaking up some rays at the shore or relaxing from the comforts of your couch, a great book can not only pass the time but transport you to another place entirely. Here are a few intriguing and female-driven novels to dive into this summer.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng This mysterious fiction about two mothers with opposing viewpoints on following the rules will keep readers engrossed in the secretive lives of a Cleveland suburb’s residents. Celeste Ng’s novel has spent over 30 weeks on the New York Times’ Bestseller List and could soon follow in the footsteps of Big Little Lies as a captivating television mini-series based on an acclaimed novel. Actresses Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington have recently announced plans to executively produce and star in the adaption.

The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer An introverted college freshman finds an unexpected mentor in a long-time feminist advocate and speaker in this story of women’s movements across multiple generations and discovering one’s path in life. Meg Wolitzer’s novel has consistently remained on the New York Times Bestseller List since its debut last month and currently sits at the seventh spot on the hardcover fiction list. 

CIRCE by Madeline Miller Readers will be transported into the world of Greek mythology in this fantasy origin tale of the goddess Circe, who was banished to a deserted island by Zeus after practicing her witchcraft power. From there, Circe learns to not only survive but strengthen her powers and encounters several key figures in Greek mythology along the way, such as Icarus and Odysseus. Madeline Miller’s second novel has also been on the New York Times Bestseller List since its release last month.

This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today by Chrissy Metz If you spent a majority of your Tuesday nights this past winter sobbing at your television or laptop screen over the Pearson family on NBC’s award-winning drama This Is Us and can’t bear the thought of an entire summer without new episodes, check out actress Chrissy Metz’s (aka Kate Pearson) new autobiography. This book stretches from Metz’s childhood to her role on the hit television series and features advice on learning to love yourself and achieving your dreams. Metz’s autobiography could make you laugh and cry, much like This Is Us does, and leave you feeling empowered.

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan Originally released back in 2014, this widely popular novel tells the story of a New York college professor meeting her boyfriend’s family in Singapore for the first time, where she is surprised to discover that his family is among the wealthiest in the country. Kevin Kwan’s novel has been adapted into a movie starring Constance Wu and Henry Golding, which will be released this summer on August 17. 

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn When an agoraphobic woman prone to drinking and lives in New York City believes she has witnessed a crime while spying on her neighbors, chaos ensues in this psychological thriller. A.J. Finn’s novel has spent about 14 weeks on the New York Times’ Bestseller List and will keep readers on the edge of their seats. The suspenseful novel is also set to soon be adapted into a movie starring Amy Adams.

Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.