This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This Halloween season looks a little different than past years. However, the one thing that hasn’t changed is the need for a Halloween movie marathon! Here, we’ve got you covered with our personal faves to watch this spooky season!

12. Haunted Mansion

Based on the Walt Disney theme park attraction of the same name, the movie follows Jim and his family to the cursed Gracey Mansion! With the help of Madame Leota, Jim and his family face against various ghosts trapped in the house! This hilarious movie with eye-popping special effects is definitely a must have in your Halloween movie marathon!

Scare Factor: ?/5

Halloween Factor: ?????/5

11. Gremlins

This is the movie that spawned the famous phrase “don’t feed the Gremlins after midnight”, the character Randall is given a Mogwai and given specific rules for taking care of it. Of course, Randall breaks these rules and now has to stop the Gremlins’ rampage! While not explicitly Halloween-themed, it’s definitely a popular and light watch for anyone in the mood for a good comedy horror!

Scare Factor: ???/5

Halloween Factor: ???/5

10. Monster House

This animated movie follows three kids: DJ, Chowder, and Jenny, who don’t get along so well with DJ’s neighbor, Mr. Nebbercracker. He’s an odd and grumpy old man, but something about his house makes the kids uneasy…people who cross the property into the house, don’t come out. This movie is funny with some scary, great animation for its time! While as an adult it’s not that scary, it certainly gave me a fright as a kid!

Scare Factor: ???/5

Halloween Factor: ????/5

9. Nightmare on Elm Street

One of the most popular horror movies, this movie stars the classic horror character of Freddy as he wreaks havoc on teenagers throughout the neighborhood in their dreams. This movie is definitely a solid horror movie with some great horror special effects!

Scare Factor: ?????

Halloween Factor: ???

8. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice follows our protagonist Lydia. Lydia, unhappy with life, moves into a new home with two ghosts inside! Mr. and Mrs. Deetz and Lydia form a quick bond–with the recently deceased being the only people she feels she can relate to. When a demon named Beetlejuice gets involved, with the goal of obtaining freedom from the Underworld, reality and the Underworld combine and chaos ensues!

Scare Factor: ???/5

Halloween Factor: ???/5

7. Twitches

A disney channel classic, this movie follows two girls, Apolla and Artemis who find out that they are twin sisters and part of the royal family in the magical dimension of Coventry. Now, these girls have to navigate their new lives as a dark force threatens their lives. This comedy adventure isn’t super scary, but definitely a great candidate for a spooktober viewing session. 

Scare Factor: ?/5

Halloween Factor: ??/5

6. Halloween 

The title says it all. Another classic horror movie with the classic horror character of Micheal Myers! In this movie, Jamie Lee Curtis’ character is being stalked by Michael Myers. This movie has an excellent score and is truly an unnerving and well done horror movie!

Scare Factor: ?????/5

Halloween Factor: ?????/5

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas 

This movie has been hotly debated over its designation as a “Halloween” movie or “Christmas” movie, but considering all the main characters are from the Halloween dimension, we’ll decidedly call this a Halloween movie. This movie follows Jack Skelington in his attempt to bring his own Halloween flair to Christmas town with disastrous consequences!

Scare Factor: ???/5

Halloween Factor: ?????/5

4. Hocus Pocus

A movie that follows three witches wishing to retain their youth. All with sparkling, comical, and Mean-Girls-esque personalities, they steal the show (and literal children to) in order to accomplish their goal. Our main protagonist’s job is to end their conquest with the help of some friends–but why get skincare when you can steal a few souls and be young for decades?

Scare Factor: ??/5

Halloween Factor: ????/5

3. Halloweentown

Another disney channel classic. In this movie are Marnie Piper and her siblings Dylan and Sophie on Halloween. Their mom won’t let them go out trick-or-treating but instead they get a visit from their grandmother. Soon we find out that their grandmother is actually from a town where it’s Halloween everyday! The kids sneak sneak away with their grandmother and find themselves in a strange new town where a certain evil is lurking. This movie is a childhood classic for me. And while Marnie is basically the most annoying main character ever, seeing Debbie Reynolds, a famous Golden-age Hollywood actress is always a treat!

Scare Factor:?/5

Halloween Factor: ?????/5

2. Ghostbusters

When there’s something strange in your neighborhood, chances are, the seminal Halloween movie “ghostbusters” is playing! This movie follows a trio of eccentric parapsychologists who start a ghost-catching business in New York City and the ghosts turn out to be even worse than anyone imagined! This fantastic movie with head-bopping music will have you wishing you had your own proton pack!

Scare Factor: ???/5

Halloween Factor: ????/5

1. Scream

Topping the list we have one of the most popular and well done Halloween/horror movie. This movie focuses on Sidney Prescott, a teenager who is targeted by a mysterious killer named ghostface on the anniversary of her mother’s death. This film combines horror with a “whodunnit” structure that satirizes the horror genre. The movie is endlessly rewatchable and a part of a solid horror franchise!

Scare Factor: ????/5

Halloween Factor: ?????/5

During this Halloween season, hopefully you’ll decide whether you’re in the mood for a scary good horror movie or a fun movie with some Halloween vibes! The choices are endless! So go grab a blanket, some candy, maybe your halloween costume, and tune in and watch some movies this Halloween season. Stay safe and stay spooky!  

Concetta Jenny Vecchione is a student at Rutgers working towards a double major in psychology and french. Outside of school, her passions include film, theatre, and literature. She is a voracious reader as well as an aspiring author. She also enjoys photography and other creative pursuits that she shares with others on her Instagram @jenny.vecchione. She loves the her campus community for their breadth of opportunities and welcoming community!
Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.