jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Back-to-School Relationships: How To Get “Cuffed” During Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

It’s “cuffing season”. If you’re unclear about what “cuffing season” is, Urban Dictionary defines it as “during the Fall and Winter months people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be “Cuffed” or tied down by a serious relationship.” This doesn’t mean that you HAVE to be in a relationship during the fall or winter months. However, if you would like to get in a relationship, then check out the tips below.

*Disclaimer: These tips are not endorsed or sponsored by a professional and may not work for everyone.*

Clean Up Your Online Dating Profile

Although dating apps have a stereotype for not building long-term relationships, this is not always true! I met my boyfriend on Tinder and I know many others girls who have found relationships on Tinder, Bumble, and other dating apps. If it had not been for Tinder, I would have never met him since he was in his last semester of college while I was in my third semester of college with completely different majors in a HUGE school. By cleaning up your dating profile, you are opening yourself up to individuals you may not meet otherwise. Your dating profile is the image you are displaying into the world, so make sure it’s a good one!

Dress Cute

While having a great online profile is wonderful for creating a positive first online impression, you also need to think about how you present yourself in the real world. First impressions last. Walking into class or around campus in a cute outfit is a sure way to make heads turn. You are guaranteed to catch your future bae’s attention in a cute outfit because a cute outfit will make you look presentable and approachable.

Be Yourself

If you really want to snag a bae, be yourself. If you are comfortable in your own skin, you will reflect an air of confidence. CONFIDENCE IS SEXY! I can’t emphasize enough how attractive it is to be confident. The best way to reflect confidence is by walking in your own shoes; don’t try to impress anyone by trying to be someone you are not.  

Don’t Be Shy

In modern society, being shy will do little to help land you in the arms of your future soulmate (or get you a coffee date). If you see someone you like, don’t be afraid to approach them and engage in conversation. In fact, remind yourself what a bold beautiful badass you are, and make the first move!

Take It Slow

Take your time to get to know the person you are dating. Although you may want to get exclusive with your partner right away, don’t seem too desperate. You will attract based on the vibes you give off. If you give off an overly-eager to be in a relationship vibe, either you will scare off your potential mate or you will attract someone who is also “thirsty”.

Have A Positive Perspective

Don’t be so cynical when it comes to relationships. Sure, you may have been hurt in the past but that doesn’t mean you will get hurt again. A new relationship is a new experience so approach it without any expectations.

Be Nice 

This sounds pretty basic, right? But let’s go back to the most basic rule of kindergarten: Treat others the way you want to be treated. Treat your partner with the same respect, love, and care that you’d want for yourself. Nice gestures and compliments go a long way in helping you establish a bond with your partner.

Be real

Be real with yourself and know when it is time to move on. Sometimes you just might not be vibing with the other person. That’s completely okay because everyone is different. You cannot force yourself to be attracted to someone. Keep yourself level-headed and know when it’s time to move on.

Finally, don’t be stressed if you don’t find a partner right away. It would be much better to be single and focus on yourself than to spend time dating someone who causes you stress and anxiety. Most important, be true to yourself and don’t settle for less. The myth is that you have to compromise but remember you don’t have to settle. You can have the looks, the brain, the sense of humor, everything…. You can have it all!

Hannah Javed

Rutgers '19

Senior Editor at Her Campus Rutgers with a love for salads, pizza and bright lights.