sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

To All My Friends, Thank You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

People tend to get caught up in their romantic relationships. Lots of people my age are set on trying to find a life partner already or looking for the next person to occupy their time with. And I get it, the freshness of meeting someone new you could potentially really like and the unintentional smiles that form when you think about them is truly a magical feeling. However, it doesn’t hurt to take a step back and appreciate the friends you have, who have remained with you through the wreckage of those romantic relationships. As cheesy and cliché as it sounds, it’s true that partners come and go, but friendships are forever.

(Photo by Levi Guzman on Unsplash)

Good friends are the kind who will always listen to you and validate your feelings, especially at your lows. It’s very easy to gloss over and ignore the way someone is feeling, but those who care and love you comfort you when you can. I can always count on my friends back home, Danielle, Julia, Nicole, and Clemencia, to answer my texts despite the distance and intensity of our schedules. And sending messages about one another’s story on Instagram also means a lot because it still feels like we’re involved in each other’s daily lives. I’ve known you guys for so long and I’m so grateful that we’re still friends.

(Shannon Chin)

Danielle, my childhood definitely wouldn’t have been as interesting and eventful without the mischievous things we got up to. I think I had such a good childhood because of all the crazy memories we made. I kinda miss the times when we’d make those weird mud concoctions and were convinced we’d turn into mermaids when we were 13 and would practice for the big day in your grandma’s pool.

(Shannon Chin)

Clemencia, Julia, and Nicole, I’m grateful for all the shenanigans we got into. You guys made high school bearable. I’m still adjusting to not seeing you guys every day, to Julia not picking me up for school and to not seeing your guys’ growth which I witnessed for so long. I more grateful, though, that despite not seeing each other often, when I do see you, it’s like nothing ever changed. Being back home and seeing you guys brings back nostalgia in the greatest way possible.  

(Shannon Chin)

Like many, I was afraid about forming friendships and the kind I might end up forming when I first got here. I’m a shy person and I was scared I wouldn’t make any friends or real friendships with substance, you know the kind that will remain for life. But I’m very lucky and found a group of girls I can go to when I’m upset and need to talk to someone. In only a year, we’ve been through a lot but we’ve still remained close. I can always count on them to make me laugh and have a good time with. I can always count on them to listen to me and not judge me. In such a new and vast environment, it’s hard finding people who are genuine and want the best for you, but I can honestly say I’ve found it in these girls. Thank you Andree, Tanu, Sabrina, and Sai for being some of the most genuine and honest people I’ve met. I truly don’t know how I’d get through college without you guys.

(Shannon Chin)

Good friendships are hard to find, so cherish the ones that you have. Remember to be grateful and tell your besties you love them!

Shannon is a senior attending Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor's degree in Journalism & Media studies. Although she is graduating this May, she will be staying to obtain her Master's degree in Communication Media. With a great passion for everything fashion and beauty, she hopes to be writing for a magazine centered around both. She loves puppies and can often be found in bed binging a k-drama on Netflix!