lidya nada MD ha01Bk7c unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lidya nada MD ha01Bk7c unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Life > Experiences

A guide to getting free things on your birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Everyone knows that most companies offer birthday perks when you sign up for memberships, but sometimes it’s time-consuming to find the details. For my birthday this year, I made sure I took full advantage of these deals, and I want you to as well! All of these memberships are free; make sure to sign up prior to your birthday and enter your birth date into your account!

BEAUTY & SKINCARE

Sephora

Become a Sephora insider for free by signing up on their website. You can redeem your free birthday gift online alongside a purchase, but if you aren’t in the market for Sephora items right now, you can pick up your free gift in stores without making a purchase. Your gift can be redeemed within 2 weeks before or after your birthday or at any point during your birthday month. 

Ulta

You can redeem a free birthday gift from Ulta by becoming an Ultamate rewards member and opting in for emails. During your birthday month, you’ll receive an email from Ultamate Rewards with your personalized code to redeem a gift, which will be valid until the end of the month. Like Sephora, you can redeem it online or in stores. Though no purchase is required, you still have to pay for shipping if you redeem online. 

kiehl’s

Who doesn’t love Kiehl’s hydrating skincare formula? By signing up for Kiehl’s Family Rewards, you will receive a free fan-favorite lip balm and 1 deluxe sample during your birthday month! You will receive an email with instructions for redeeming your gift.

LANCOME

Join Lancome Elite Rewards to receive a gift on your birthday. Be sure to sign up at least 1 week before, and you will receive your birthday reward via email 7 days prior to your birthday. Your reward can be redeemed online only for 30 days.

Urban decay

Sign up for Urban Decay Beauty Junkies rewards to redeem a free birthday gift. The gift is not revealed on their website, so enjoy a fun surprise!

Food & Drink

Starbucks

By signing up for Starbucks rewards, you can redeem a free drink or food item on your birthday. This offer is available for one day only and can be redeemed in stores or via order ahead in the app. Note that you must sign up at least 7 days before your birthday and have at least one prior purchase to redeem. For my fellow Starbucks lovers, this shouldn’t be a problem.

Dunkin

Sign up for DD Perks to redeem a free drink for your birthday! You will be issued a Birthday Beverage Reward coupon on your birthday; it can be redeemed for up to 7 days after you receive it in the app or via email.

Jersey Mike’s

If you’re a sub-obsessed Jersey girl like me, you can’t get enough of Jersey Mike’s subs. Sign up for a My Mike’s account at least 24 hours before your birthday, and you will receive 72 points to your account on your birthday. With 72 points, you can redeem a free regular sub!

Auntie Anne’s

Sign up for Pretzel Perks to redeem a free pretzel on your birthday. Your “Birthday Perk” coupon is automatically uploaded into the rewards section of your app and is redeemable within 14 days. Redeem your reward in the app or show the coupon at an Auntie Anne’s store to get your pretzel!

Cinnabon

There’s nothing like a decadent cinnamon roll and a delicious cup of coffee on your birthday! You must have a Cinnabon rewards account at least 10 days before your birthday to redeem your reward. You will receive enough points for a 16 oz cold brew.

IHOP

Sign up for an IHOP rewards account at least 7 days before your birthday to receive a free stack of pancakes. Your gift will be delivered as 5 “Pancoins” loaded to your account, which is equivalent to a stack of 5 pancakes.

PANERA bread

Panera’s seasonal cookies and pecan pastries are the perfect complement to any birthday festivities. Redeem a free pastry or sweet at Panera when you sign up for MyPanera rewards.

Now that you’re in the know, start signing up! You’ll thank yourself once your birthday rolls around. Enjoy all of the freebies, and happy (early) birthday!

Mary

Rutgers '23