70s Style for the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Hey all! I hope everyone’s semester is going well. I know it is crunch time, but don’t forget to take a break when you need it! If it ever warms up, you’ll be sure to see me at ABP with the biggest iced coffee they have.

As spring has finally seemed to arrive, I have been testing out all of my new clothes. For Spring ’11, I have focused on a more 70’s inspired, neutral based wardrobe. It’s easy, light, and has just enough pop for me.

For spring’s breezy days, I’ll start with a warmer look first. When envisioning the 70’s I always think of wide-legged jeans. While I do own a pair, they are not an easy look to do every day. I suggest investing in a pair of dark flare jeans. You will get the most use out of these from this spring into next fall. For the athletes among us, flare jeans happen to be some of the best fitting jeans. I tried to make this look a little less edgy than I usually do, so it’s paired with a simply white tee-shirt. To hit a more 70s vibe I would suggest getting a boat neck shirt and tucking it in. The beauty in this trend involves combining neutral clothing colors with 70’s shapes and accessories. I cannot emphasis the use of turquoise enough! Stack some bracelets on or grab a few rings if you can. A longer gold necklace is also advisable. Now I will be wearing wicked tall heels this semester, preferably with a cork or wood heel, but I know not everyone’s a fan. A pair of simple woven sandals will do, but please stay away from buying any new gladiators! That trend has simply run its course. A simply brown messenger bag finishes this outfit off.

My next look is for those hot and muggy days on the horizon. Rutgers classrooms are notoriously hot, and so this is a good look for when you are trying to stay cool. This look tries to utilize the shapes that are commonly associated with the 70’s, so grab a neutral-toned high-waist short and tuck in a loose white blouse. I wanted a pair of stellar shoes for this, so I picked an embellished turquoise one. A big statement necklace will also go a long way for jazzing up an outfit. This necklace features a feather motif which is becoming a pretty big trend. I would suggest at most two showy accessories for a look like this. One is almost not enough because the outfit is pretty bare-bones, but three would be far too distracting. If you wear a pair of sunglasses with this I would suggest a simpler necklace, like the elephant one in the look above. Finally, a simple, white cross-body bag finishes the outfit off.

The last look is definitely my favorite because of the white dress. Of course every girl has a LBD in her closet, but I think every girl should have a LWD too. The dress does not have to look anything like the dress I picked above, but if you want to be more trendy I would suggest picking a dress in the 70s silhouette. The white dress I bought for spring is one that fits my body perfectly, and although it will take some hunting it is definitely worth the investment. The key, then, to making my dress more “now” is in, of course, the accessorizing. I usually choose to have my bag and belt complement each other, so I would either go more 70’s with the cross-body bag and simple leather belt or diverge to the woven trend that is also popular right now. A simple gold bracelet will do for this outfit, as the dress is the centerpiece. Cat-eye glasses are a staple for this spring, so I would highly suggest picking up a cheap pair from H&M or Forever 21.  Finally, you must finish off this look with a pair of sky-high heels. I know not all of you are fans, but if you bought a good dress, you need the heels to go with it. This is a stand-out look, and heels will take it to the level it needs to be on. Sling-backs are a good, seasonal choice. And remember ladies, “look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress” (Coco Chanel).

Let me know what you think! And best of luck with the mountains of work I’m sure you have!

Olivia is an editorial assistant at The Record, New Jersey’s second largest daily newspaper and contributing writer for GoKicker.com. She’s a former BBC Travel intern and a proud Rutgers alum. She studied journalism, media studies, and English at Rutgers, where she was managing editor of the daily student newspaper and founding Campus Correspondent of HerCampus.com/Rutgers . She was also on the rowing and triathlon teams. Dogs, summer, and DIY projects are up there on the list of her much-loved things in life. Follow: @OlivePretzel.