6 Lady Bosses You Must Know

Celebrating the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage, it is important now more than ever for women to fight to resist oppression and the patriarchy. Throughout time, women in all different parts of the world have risen up to fight for their rights. Even in times when it seems as if gender inequality is becoming less of an issue, patriarchal traditions are still more present than ever. Times are harder than ever now with the pandemic being in an election year, and virtual classes hurting the learning experience for college students. Now is the time to look to some powerful women and be inspired by their lives and legacies. Here are 6 powerful American Lady Bosses everyone should know.

Susan B. Anthony

You definitely have heard of this feminist queen! Born into a Quaker family in 1820, Susan B. Anthony played a critical role in the women’s suffrage movement. She served as President of the Women’s Suffrage Association, an organization that helped pave the way for the 19th Amendment.

Alice Paul

A New Jersey native born in 1855, Paul is best known for her work in the women’s suffrage movement. In 1913, she, along with a group of feminist activists, organized a women’s suffrage parade that distracted from President Wilson’s inauguration. Her actions contributed to the passing of the 19th Amendment.

Sacagawea

At only 16, Sacagwea accompanied Lewis and Clark on their expedition through the Louisiana territory. She acted as an interpreter and helped them to travel thousands of miles through Missouri and the Pacific Northwest.

Ida B. Wells

Wells was a journalist who led an anti-lynching crusade during the 19th century. She was especially known for fighting for civil and women’s rights. Later on in her life, she continued to fight for African-American rights and justice.

Harriet Tubman

Tubman was a former slave who successfully escaped from her masters and went on to pioneer the Underground Railroad. She was known to have made 13 missions through the slave states in the 19th century and rescued 70 enslaved people. In her missions, she was never caught and never left anyone behind.  She was a hero to the enslaved and played a pivotal role in abolishing slavery.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Ginsburg was an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. She was the second female justice in all of American history to serve on the Supreme Court. Early on in her career, she taught at Rutgers Law, where she proposed a course in gender discrimination law. Her role as a justice gave her a platform to help advocate for equality for all in America.

With everything that is going on in the world today, it is more important than ever for women to stick together and stay strong. For more information on some amazing women in history, some podcasts that I’ve enjoyed during quarantine are The Exploress, Whatshername, and Harlots of History.

Julia Fuchs

Rutgers '22

"Be it known, that we the greatest, are misthought"- Cleopatra Julia is a part of the School of Arts and Sciences class of 2022. She is studying History, Archaeology and French in hopes of pursuing a career in Egyptology. One of her favorite Egyptian queens is quoted above!