This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

With school starting back up, along with parties and other events, it can be easy to forget that these places are not always the safest for women. While it is unfortunate that we have to think about safety precautions, it’s always better to stay safe than be sorry. You can never be too prepared, so here’s a list of safety items worth looking into.

Pepper Spray

Pepper spray is one of my personal favorites because it’s lightweight, easy to use, and attaches right onto a keyring to make it easily accessible. If you go for one of the more brightly colored spray bottles, it can also act as a visual deterrent to anyone thinking about trying to harm you. If you want to go for a more low key safety item, there are more inconspicuous pepper spray items, such as pepper spray lipstick. Just don’t confuse it with your other beauty supplies! You can buy pepper spray for $8.49 at Walmart.

Sipchip

The Sipchip is a coin-sized device that is used to detect date rape drugs (specifically Rohypnol or GHB) in your drink. All you have to do is dip the test chip in your drink and you’ll get the results in as little as 30 seconds. When you look on the test strip, one line will appear if the drink is good and two lines will appear if the drink has been tampered with. The Sipchip can also attach right on the back of your phone, so you’ll have it with you at all times. You can buy three Sipchips for $15 on their website.

Safety Alarms

One of the most effective ways to scare off an attacker is by using noise to draw attention to yourself. A keychain safety alarm is another easily accessible tool that you can add right on your keychain. It is also simple to use — all you have to do is pull on the hand strap to activate a screaming siren of 130 dB, which is as loud as a military jet aircraft take-off. This will give you some time to get away from the potential threat and will draw attention from the public. You can get one for $11.99 on Amazon.

Noonlight

Nowadays there’s an app for everything, right? Noonlight is a free app that calls the police for you if you ever feel uneasy. All you have to do is press a button whenever you’re feeling uncomfortable. Once you get to a safe location, release the button and enter your four-digit code and the police will not be contacted. However, if you are in a dangerous situation, release the button, do not enter the code, and your local police will be notified of your emergency and location.

Taser

This device is one of the more well-known safety devices for women, as shown in countless movies and shows, like The Hangover and Central Intelligence. When you use a taser on an attacker, it will temporarily cause severe muscle contractions, giving you some time to get away from them.  Keep in mind, the taser will only temporarily stun the attacker, but the literal shock factor could ward them off of threatening you or another person again. You can get on on Amazon for only $13.98.

(Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels)

When choosing a safety tool or device, make sure that you are comfortable with using the item. There’s a variety of items to choose from, and each item can be useful in different situations. Each item listed costs less than $20 and can be easily put in your pocket or on a keychain. It’s upsetting that there’s a need for these devices, but it may be worth investing in one of these life-saving items.

Allison Nguyen is a sophomore in the Rutgers School of Pharmacy. In her free time, she enjoys painting, thrifting, and binge-watching YouTube videos. Keep up with her by following her Instagram: @allis0n