This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This past year, I worked tirelessly on a thesis project to graduate with honors in history. I wanted to contribute to my university while also exploring my research interests. I decided to do a project for my thesis rather than a traditional paper. In some departments, it is possible to do a project rather than a traditional paper. It depends on which school you go to and which department you study in.I went the applied archaeology route and created a website and a catalog of artifacts from the Rutgers University Geology Museum collection (RUGM). I focused specifically on the Egyptian collection and worked to shine some light on these artifacts. The process was long and, at times, extremely trying, as it took me a while to get it to the point it needed to be. However, above all else, I learned a lot about myself through it all. This was an experience I would recommend to anybody and one I would not trade for the world. Five core lessons stand out the most and have been the most influential of everything I learned. 

1. Marathon, not a sprint 

Working on a thesis was an experience like no other. My goal was to finish before the deadline when I began the project. I thought it would make my project the best if I got it done first. I have always been obsessed with deadlines and insist on getting everything done before the respective date. I finished a draft by the first deadline. However, because I rushed through it, the results were a paper that got torn apart by my adviser, program director, and second reader. Once I took the time to pace out the work and relax, I ended up with a project I am proud to call my own. I learned that slow and steady does win the race, and rushing leaves you with many mistakes. 

2. Sometimes, you need to cry 

Crying became a weekly pastime of mine while I was going through the process of working on a thesis. I would bottle in all of the stress I was feeling and not do anything until I exploded. When I finally did cry, I felt like a complete failure and was embarrassed. I learned that sometimes it is okay to cry and it is perfectly normal to be overwhelmed and need to release your emotions. Crying made me feel better as I got all of the negative emotions out of me. Eventually, I started crying tears of joy, too, like when I passed my defense with flying colors! 

3. Family and friends are everything 

I used to take for granted how much the people in my life do for me. I was always very independent and self-sufficient and did not think I needed anyone at times. My family and friends being there for me, though, listening to me complain, getting food with me, or even giving me a hug meant everything to me. The little things helped bring me joy every day and got me through this stressful process. I will never again take for granted how much even a daily text means to me. 

4. Independence does not equal refusing help 

Another problem with #girlbosses is that sometimes we do not know when we need help. It was tough for me to accept when I could not handle my work and needed help. It was hard for me to ask people to help me, but in the end, it is essential to ask for help when you need it. I felt a lot less stressed out when I got the help I needed from others. You do not always need to do everything on your own. Independent women know their limits and it is essential to learn them. Never again will I the mistake being independent with never needing help. Everyone needs help sometimes and there is nothing wrong with that. 

5. In the words of Logic, “do what you love and do not give a damn.” 

One of the most unfortunate parts of working on this project was the amount of criticism. People would ask me things like, “What are you even going to do with your degree?” or “Why does any of this matter?”. Being torn down was emotionally taxing and sometimes left me feeling hopeless. However, the second I stopped caring what others said and remembered why I took on this project, I was happier. In the end, do whatever it is you love. Money will come. Even if your career or thesis is not necessarily your passion, make room for it. You only have one life. 

It was the best and worst of times, but now my thesis is finished. I am incredibly proud of the work I completed and am excited to continue doing research at a Master’s level. 

Julia Fuchs

Rutgers '22

Julia is a senior at Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences. Academically, she is interested in Egyptian archaeology and art history. Outside of classes Julia loves fashion, coffee, art, music and is a dedicated feminist! Her Campus is a way for her to combine all of her interests in a journalistic setting, and an organization she loves being a part of!