This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Are you on the lookout for some new music? Here are five albums that I have been loving recently. If you haven’t already, give them a listen! These artists are all extremely talented, far beyond the albums I’m sharing with you in this article. If you like what you hear, be sure to check out their other projects as well.

1. Mia GargeretGia Margaret

Gia Margaret’s sound is dreamy and delicate. Her work ties together folk, shoegaze, indie, and ambient electronics. This album was created in a time when Margaret was unable to sing due to an injury. Of this period, she says, “I wanted to make something that sounded hopeful, which is a little ironic because I felt essentially hopeless during the entire process. I was making music to self-soothe. I had synth loops going while I walked around my apartment, forming my own daily soundtrack.”

Listen to this album and experience her beautiful and eerie ambience. Each song unpacks another layer of intricate synth, instrumental, vocal, and everyday-noises that Margaret recorded throughout her process. Check out Mia Gargaret and rest of her music on Spotify, Apple Music, or Youtube.

2. De Todas las Flores – Natalia lafourcade

Natalia Lafourcade’s newest project and tenth studio album De Todas las Flores is a collection of songs drawing inspiration from several Latin jazz and folk genres, including bolero, cumbia, bossa nova, samba, and son jarocho. Lafourcade is a masterclass in Latin roots music. The album is elegant and mesmerizing, a journey from loneliness and heartbreak to recovery, acceptance, and rebirth. She draws inspiration from other Latin American musicians, and on this project, highlights an inspiration drawn from “Mother Nature herself.”  Natalia Lafourcade is a truly incredible artist and person. To read more on her achievements and legacy, I recommend this NPR article. To hear more of her music, you can visit Spotify, Apple Music, or any other streaming service.

3. Let’s start a family tonight – charles

Let’s Start a Family Tonight is a bubbly, experimental album by the psychedelic/pop artist, Charles. Making music is more of a passion-hobby for Charles (aka Charlotte Ercoli Coe), while videography is her primary career focus.  She typically produces all of her visuals in addition to sound. Listen to this project to experience Charlotte Ercoli Coe’s world of dreamy, teenage romance and humor. She uses an eclectic layering of synth, bass, drums, and vocals. Listen to her music on Spotify or Apple Music.

4. hayday feeble little horse

Feeble little horse is a Pittsburgh band of four: Sebastian Kinsler (guitar, production, vocals, bass), Ryan Walchonski (guitar, vocals),  Lydia Slocum (vocals, bass), and Jake Kelley on drums. Hayday is their first full-length album. The band creates an intricate and captivating digital noise-pop sound, combining electronics with sweet vocals and chaotic highs and lows. If you like Alex G, Blue Smiley, Duster, TV Girl, or any other artists in the experimental- dreampop realm, you should definitely check them out. Find their music on Spotify or Apple Music.

5. flounder quinnie

The last album I will be recommending is by none other than Maplewood, New Jersey native: quinnie. She recently released her first album, flounder, in the wake of her song “touch tank” going viral in the summer of 2022. Her ethereal, soft indie pop sound shines on this album. Listen to this to experience what it sounds like to fall in love. She expresses her excitement, nerves, and agony, with gentle singing and acoustic guitar strumming. Listen to flounder and more on Spotify or Apple Music!

Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you are able to discover some new sounds that you enjoy!

Kate Beemer

Rutgers '22

Kate is a sophomore at the School of Arts and Sciences, pursuing her undergrad degree in Journalism & Media studies with a double minor in German and Gender and Media. She is passionate about media production, and writing, with a particular interest in gender studies and global media. She is a dual citizen of Germany and the US, and has hopes to study post-undergrad in Berlin. In her free time she works at a restaurant which serves tacos and frozen yogurt. She also enjoys volunteering at the radio station, trying out new recipes, and buying old CDs and/or shoes.