This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Music has always been a big part of my life. I can usually be found sitting somewhere around campus with my Airpods in, listening to any and all genres. Listening to music has its own benefits, like boosting mood and decreasing feelings of stress. Music therapy also exists! Whether you’re looking to get energized, get relaxed, or get in your feels, there are many types of music out there that can enhance your experience. This list includes a variety of different sounds, so hopefully, you’ll find something you like.

Good Nature by Turnover

This is the perfect feel-good album. Good Nature has a laid-back sound that reminds me of carefree summer days and driving down the shore with the windows down. This album is both dreamy and calming without being sad or subdued. I find its light, cheery melodies extremely refreshing. Some of my favorite lyrics come from the song “Bonnie (Rhythm & Melody)”:

Now all I can hear is rhythm and melody in my ears

It sounds like it feels

All the time now I’m balancing perfectly

In between awake and a dream

These lyrics, combined with the indie pop instrumentals, explain that music is not only a sound but also something that you can feel.

Shoutout to these songs from the album:

Pure Devotion (above)

Nightlight Girl

Bonnie (Rhythm & Melody)

Hive Mind by The Internet

This album by R&B group The Internet is groovy and enchanting, while still keeping the mood light. I’m absolutely in love with frontwoman Syd’s soft and sultry vocals. Overall, Hive Mind sounds like a bunch of friends got together and just grooved. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Syd said the band’s latest album was executed, “as naturally as possible. Like, ‘Who has a drum loop they’ve made? Pull it out, let’s put some chords over it and go from there!’”

Shoutout to these songs:

It Gets Better (With Time) (above)

Mood

Wanna Be

Million Dollars to Kill Me by Joyce Manor

I would describe this album as indie-leaning pop-punk. Although slightly softer and more light-hearted than Joyce Manor’s previous work, this album is still perfectly emo. For example, the song “Gone Tomorrow” mentions that everyone wants to prove that they’re doing something with life and are afraid of having nothing to show for it. In “Think I’m Still in Love with You”, the lyrics tell a story about a boy who doesn’t think anything he accomplishes will be good enough to make his girl stay. The album’s contents are also upbeat songs that I find perfectly dance-able when I just want to be alone in my room and air-guitar.

Shoutout to these songs:

Silly Games (above)

Big Lie

Gone Tomorrow

Fever by Megan Thee Stallion

Female rapper Megan Thee Stallion changed the game by drawing away from the stereotypical female ideal created by men and portraying herself through her music as strong, independent and individualistic. This album delivers her views on sexual politics through her claims over her own body in a misogynistic world. Through this album, Megan tells girls that they are in charge of themselves and to embrace their sexuality. Fever is something I would listen to as a pick-me-up when I need a boost of confidence.

Shoutout to these songs:

Money Good (above)

Pimpin

Best You Ever Had

Pony by Rex Orange County

Released in 2019, Rex Orange County’s latest album differs from his previous ones by showcasing his internal struggles and personal growth, rather than just being all about love. The sentimental pop sound created by keyboards, guitars, and orchestral instruments facilitates the spreading of his message. While the album explains the difficulties associated with growing out of the teenage years and also those of his music career, Rex believes that all of that eventually passes for everyone. In an interview with Hotpress, he said, “But the point is that I’ve had a hard time, I’m not having a hard time right now, you know?”.

Shoutout to these songs:

Always (above)

Pluto Projector

It’s Not the Same Anymore

I’d like to thank these artists for putting feelings and moods that I can’t explain into instrumentals and vocals. Sharing your inner voice and emotions with the entire world is not an easy task. For that, these artists deserve recognition. The albums that they have created had an impact on me, so I hope that by sharing them they do something for you too.

Trish is a junior at Rutgers University majoring in Nursing and minoring in Psychology and Recording Arts. Some of her interests are music, fashion, and food. Her goals include traveling around the world and helping others as a psychiatric nurse practitioner.
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.