david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 2018 Halloween Happenings at Rutgers University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, which as a kid meant dressing up and spending the night trick-or-treating. Maybe you’re too old to trick-or-treat (let’s be real though, you’re never too old), but that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Halloween! Below are a variety of Halloween events happening around Rutgers University:

Photo by Luve Christian

October 24: Spooky Sounds Coffeehouse

Do you love live performances and music? If so, 90.3 The Core, a student-run radio station at Rutgers, is hosting a Halloween-themed Coffeehouse at Hidden Grounds on Easton Avenue. Not only can you enjoy a cup of coffee, you’ll also support fellow Rutgers students while getting into the Halloween spirit.

October 25: Haunted House hosted by RUPA

For those who like more of an adrenaline rush, you can get your fix by walking through the RUPA haunted house at 199 College Avenue. If you have friends willing to come with you for thrills and chills, up to six people can go through the haunted house at a time. The best part is that the event is free, with the suggestion of a donation for the Rutgers Student Food Pantry.

October 26: Senior Citizen Halloween Bash hosted by RUPA

Are you always the first one out on the dance floor? RUPA is also hosting a Halloween dance with senior citizens this Friday at the College Avenue Student Center. To register, fill out this form to be matched with a senior for the event. This is a really great way to celebrate Halloween by having fun, and also connecting with people in the New Brunswick community outside of Rutgers University.

October 27: Terror Behind the Walls at Eastern State Penitentiary

Another spooky event hosted by RUPA is a tour through Terror Behind the Walls, America’s largest haunted house located in Philadelphia. The penitentiary is a former prison with large, castle-like walls and lots of haunted history. Tickets are $45 and can be purchased here.

October 28: Rocky Horror Picture Show at Rutgers Cinema

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is not just a movie, but also an experience where viewers would often dress up as characters and talk back to the screen. The movie itself is described as a musical science-fiction horror-comedy film that parodies science fiction and horror movies from the 1930’s to the 1960’s. If you’ve never been to the Rocky Horror Picture Show, this is definitely a (free) experience that you shouldn’t miss at the Rutgers Cinema on Livingston!

This week is full of exciting Halloween-related events at Rutgers. Whether you like listening to music, being scared, dancing or going to the theater, there’s something for everybody to have fun and get into the Halloween spirit!

Hey, my name is Catherine Nguyen and I'm an undergraduate student at RU-New Brunswick! I'm planning on double majoring in English and actuarial mathematics. I love 90's hip hop, pineapple pizza and reading.
Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).