Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style

10 Overrated Fashion Trends That we can Leave Behind in the 2010s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

With the 2010s coming to a close, there are lots of reflections to be had. Throughout the past decade, fashion trends have always been on the move and the hottest items constantly changing. Thanks to celebrities, social media, and magazines, it has become easy to keep up with what’s hot and what’s not. However, since fashion trends are rarely consistent, not all items will continue to remain in style for long. Over the last 10 years, fashion has changed drastically, let’s take a look at some of the worst items that we used to deem trendy…   

2010: Feather Hair Extensions

From Selena Gomez to Demi Lovato to Kelly Clarkson, all of our favorite celebs repped these furry monstrosities, so it was only natural to follow suit. Now, 10 years later, we can cringe appropriately. And looking back, this trend is especially laughable compared to the others. Rooster feathers. In our hair. For fashion. Why would anyone think that’s a good idea? I think this one is self-explanatory.

2011: Fedoras

When I think of 2011, I immediately think of Demi Lovato and her staple fedora looks. At the time, I think that her outfits themselves were on trend, but I never quite thought the fedora should’ve made the cut. While hats can be a cute accessory, I think that the fedora should stick with the Blues Brothers. Overall, the hat is bulky, takes away from the rest of her outfit, and doesn’t flow well with the vibe she was going for. The fedora is just something that is there, but shouldn’t be.

2012: Wedge Sneakers

This one is simple: no. Just no. Thick high top sneakers like these ones are controversial as is due to their clunky appearance. By adding a wedge to them, the shoe just becomes chunkier, and more unappealing as a result. Wedge sneakers take center stage in the worst way, are unflattering to the feet, and diminish any possible style the rest of the outfit could have had. A true fashion travesty, what a shame.  

2013: Gladiator Sandals

More like gladiators not for the win. What is the point of having straps going all the way up the calves? Uncomfortable, constricting, and unsightly, gladiator sandals had a brief moment in 2013. At one point in time gladiator sandals did in fact serve a real purpose; they represented strength, stability, and helped the gladiators conquer. Now, however, they are just unflattering, impractical, and outweigh the look trying to be accomplished. Gladiator sandals should go back to serving a purpose, because they don’t serve looks.       

2014: Flannels

Flannel has had many cameos in the fashion world. I will say, they are comfy and a good lazy/casual outfit, but that is it. I don’t think that they should be associated with being trendy nor be considered the “hottest” item around. They are simply boring, unflattering, and don’t deserve the spotlight in the world of fashion.   

2015: Athleisure

Like the flannel, athleisure is undoubtedly comfy. It is perfect to run to the store or lounge around the house in, but should not be considered trendy. 2015 yielded the cross between exercise wear and fashionable pieces. However, the combo looks lazy, the pieces don’t vibe together, it is very one-note, and this shouldn’t be what people think of when they hear the word “fashion”; like oil and water, the realms of exercise and fashionable clothes should stay separate. 

2016: Chokers

As stated by the name, chokers can be tight and uncomfortable. They are a boring accessory, and don’t really add any extra pizazz to the outfit; they’re kind of just there. In addition, in certain circumstances they can even contrast with your look and make it look awkward, or actually change the appearance of the face. As soon as chokers began to look like neck braces, the trend was abandoned, and fashion integrity was restored.    

2017: The Fanny Pack

While I can’t contest their practicality, Fanny Packs don’t have a place as a trend. Simply put, they are for tourists, dads, or tourist dads. Having your belongings hands free is nice, but as an accessory, it lacks luster. It is bulky, annoying, and clashes with outfits instead of helping them. When fanny packs are apart of an outfit, they often become the first thing you notice, reducing the wow factor of an otherwise nice fit.  

2018: Biker Shorts

Biker shorts are basically just glorified boxer briefs and I don’t understand the hype surrounding them. What is so fashionable about wearing a big t-shirt over biker shorts? That’s what I wear to sleep. Also they’re tight, basic, and unflattering for a lot of women, including myself. Overrated. Unless you’re wearing them as pajamas, I disapprove.   

2019: Dad Sneakers

They’re chunky, bulky, overhyped, and quite frankly seem to function more as leg weights than as shoes. Dad sneakers make your feet look big and clunk around when you walk. Sure, I think that some people can make them work. However, with that being said, they’re still unappealing and should be left behind in 2019. I feel like however you may dress them up, the outfit would look better with a different, less clunky shoe. Bigger is not better when it comes to these sneakers.   

I will admit that at one point in my life I had two hair feather extensions, as well as rocked a fanny pack, and it is refreshing to look back and cringe at what I thought was trendy at the time. I love fashion and the ever-changing nature of its trends, but some are just not cute. The 2010s have brought us so many iconic looks, but these 10 trends should be left behind as we head in the 2020s.  

Tori is a current freshman at Rutgers University from Middletown, New Jersey. She is pursuing a major in Marketing and loves to watch Netflix, write, travel, and be outside.