Wellness > Sex + Relationships

You’re Not Alone: A Single Girl’s Take On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The period of time where you are either blissfully in love or painfully aware that you are not. It’s becoming a tradition to spend my Valentine’s day as the latter. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little upset about this fact. After all, I’m only human. But I’ve realized that there’s nothing wrong with not having a significant other on Valentine’s day or any day of the year.

Cher once said, “A man is not a necessity, a man is a luxury.” She continues to note that a man is a “dessert.” When asked that if she meant to sound bitter Cher smoothly replied, “Oh, not at all! I adore dessert, I love men!”

I can’t think of anything that sets the tone more this Valentine’s day.

In today’s society, there’s so many people who believe that until you find the love of your life you will remain unfulfilled. That there’s something missing. It’s to the point where many people call their love their “other half.” As if a person is physically incomplete without somebody to love.

But finding romance isn’t a measure of a life’s happiness or rate of success. Jane Austen and Emily Brontë lived their lives single. Oprah actively remarks that she never wants to get married and Mindy Kaling is quoted to be more than happy to be single. Can anyone say that they didn’t live a complete life? That throughout their accomplishments and success they are missing something?  

Every year I make it a point to spend a portion of Valentine’s day loving the fulfilled aspects of my life rather than the absence of a Valentine. I love my family, my friends, and my college. Love that I can spend my day writing something that I’ve dreamed about doing.

I love that February 14th is a special day for other people. Despite that, I inwardly groan at couples around me I admit that their cute antics are sweet.There’s love all around me and I’m happy that there’s a holiday dedicated to acknowledging it.

Maybe one day I’ll be on the other side of Valentine’s day. Maybe I won’t be. Either way, there’s all sorts of love in the air. And I’m going to appreciate it.

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.