This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Here we are, friends… We made it to the new year alive and in one piece (well okay, maybe not quite, but close enough). 2017 was quite the rollercoaster year for myself, and I know a lot of other people feel the same. It had its highs, such as Queen Bey popping out two adorable little babies, experiencing the solar eclipse, Saudi Arabia loosening its restrictive laws for women, and manatees leaving the endangered species list. Of course, 2017 also had many lows. Our world faced seemingly one natural disaster and weather event after the next. We endured numerous mass casualties, such as in Manchester and Las Vegas. An astounding number of reports of sexual misconduct came forth, opening our eyes to how much abuse was going on behind closed doors. But…we emerged.

One thing 2017 brought was a stronger unity between women. We started the year strong in January 2017 with the Women’s March, which birthed a coalition of people, not only women, fighting for the equality and equity in terms of reproductive rights, LGBTQIA+ rights, freedom from violence, workers and disability rights, environmental issues, and civil and immigrant rights. The Women’s March was a step forward for the feminist movement, because IMO, feminism should be intersectional. I also believe that 2017 brought feminism into the public spotlight. People were discussing what it means to be a feminist, more openly questioning and pushing for equal pay, marching the streets with signs, and more celebrities and public figures supported numerous campaigns.

Even the number of sexual misconduct cases are for a greater good. The defining moment was in October 2017 when famous Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein was accused by 84 women of various sexual misconducts, including intimidation, rape, and other forms of sexual harassment and assault. This seemed to create a snowball effect, with more and more reports coming out nearly every day exposing yet another famous man for similar behaviors. The New York Times reported that, as of January 11, 2018,  51 men have been accused and disgraced since news of Weinstein’s behaviors broke. While we cannot determine on our own if all of these accusations are true or not and that will be left to the court to decide, this whole series of scandals has forced Hollywood and it’s insiders to face the truth of all of the sexual misconduct and abuse of power that occurs behind closed doors. It is spreading to other industries as well, forcing the issues to be talked about more and more.

As we progress into 2018, let us learn from 2017. Let us give people the space to come forward with their #MeToo stories in their own time, on their own rules. Let us stick up for others when we see them being targeted or harassed or treated unjustly. This year, we will not tear down other women. We will support them for exactly as they are, regardless of age, gender, sexuality, race, religion, ethnicity, economic status, education level, body shape, or ability. Let this be the year for powerful, empathetic, loving women who will pick themselves up each time they get knocked down. Let us lift each other up and allow ourselves to be the resilient warrior women we all are inside.

Junior Biological Sciences major with an Honors concentration and Psychology minor. Photographer and researcher. Just a girl obsessed with Netflix, small animals, plants, and all things Pinterest. littletricksoflight.blogspot.com