This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I’m sitting in the car on my way to West Virginia (just about 2 hours out) writing this, and all I can think about is how clear my head is during the ride. Getting away from home, even just a few hours away, can be truly eye-opening and stress relieving. In New Jersey, my whole life, all I’ve seen is beaches and sand, with the exception of the Pine Barrens, which… shockingly… is still sand. But here, everything is different. People are kinder, the air is thinner, and the mountain air is refreshing. I’ve reached new heights and tried new things, and I can’t wait to do it all over again soon. Now, you might be thinking, is COVID really a safe time to be taking spontaneous road trips? And to each their own- but I say go for it. You’re only going to be young once, and it’s important to seize every day like it’s your last. Obviously, take precautions, and be safe always, but if you’re the slightest bit comfortable, then do it.

You might be like me, struggling with the stress of life and the fact that it’s your last semester before adulthood, or you might just be tired of living the same norm. Whatever it may be, get out of your comfort zone and go somewhere. See new things and explore new places, wherever that may be. These are my 5 reasons as to why a road trip is a must-do at least once in your lifetime.

No Regrets

This might sound silly- maybe even a little counterintuitive- but planning a spontaneous trip will make your anxieties dissipate. At least, that’s how it was for me. Without all of the planning and hassle, you will finally feel at peace. A road trip is the perfect moment for serendipity and improvisation. Every time I take a trip like this, I find the better my mental health is when I come back because I so abruptly left my worries behind.

YOLO

Again- silly, but true. You only live once. Why wait to do all of these things when you’re old. One day you’re going to be living off of stories like our parents and grandparents, so why not make the most of your life NOW.

Bonding New and Old

Traveling in any of its forms is a great opportunity to meet new people and create stronger bonds with old friends. While you might live by the “I hate people” motto, as do I, meeting people from a different state and town is fun and exciting- you get to learn so much about their own little cultures and get out of your own small-town mindset.

Earth is Beautiful

We really do take this one for granted too often and miss out on so many of the things that are just outside of our window. These kinds of trips will force you to take a break, listen to music, and open your eyes to what’s around you.

Disconnect

Unplugging can be a beautiful thing. Get off social media, put your phone down and enjoy the ride. You’d be surprised at what you can find when your eyes aren’t glued to your phone.

Do I even have to persuade you more? Go seek your own adventure and live beyond your norm, trust me, it’s worth it.

Maranda is a Senior Writing Arts and Emergency Management dual major at Rowan University. She hopes to become a published poetry author and eventually go to law school or work for Homeland Security. In her free time she enjoys listening to all genres of music, reading, creating art, writing poetry, and watching 80s movies.
Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.