Why Athletes Don’t Want to Compete in the Winter Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Content warning: sexual assault, suicide 

The NHL’s would be Olympic break is right around the corner, but the league cited the rise in COVID-19 cases as the reason why its players cannot compete in the Winter Games.

Although the reasoning makes sense, the NHL did suspend a shit ton of games because of COVID outbreaks affecting multiple teams, I can’t help but wonder if there are additional reasons behind this decision. In addition, many countries can use this as an excuse to withdraw their athletes. However, China has a very long history of human rights violations and the US declared its diplomats will not be traveling to Beijing in protest. 

So is COVID-19 truly to blame for why athletes are choosing not to compete in the Winter Olympics? Or are they worried for the safety of their families? It was not too long ago that Hung Shuai publicly denied being sexually assaulted by a state official after previously claiming she was before going dark on social media. Many feared for her safety, and still do since China has been known for silencing its critics.

God forbid something happens to an Olympic athlete, they would risk their safety by coming forward. 

Not reporting a traumatic experience puts victims at an increased risk of self harming, coping with drugs and alcohol, or committing suicide.

I am a senior, transfer student at Rowan University. Although I studied business at my old school, I am currently a Writing Arts major with a Spanish minor.