What NOT to Do in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

January is the month of resolutions, healthy habits, and radiant positivity about the upcoming new year. Unfortunately, by June, many people have fallen back into their old ways and given up on ever achieving their dreams. This appears to be the trend for the majority of people and I have seen many common mistakes from the people that always seem to fail their resolutions. Here, I have compiled a list of things you should not do if you would like to make 2018 the best year yet.

Set unrealistic goals

Now, this may seem like a no brainer, but you would be surprised how many people set goals for themselves that are just not attainable. “I want to have my dream body!” or “I want to travel everywhere!” may seem like good goals to have, but they often lead to disappointment. Your idea of a “perfect body” may not be something your body can achieve, especially quickly, and you may not have the monetary means to travel the world. These goals, because they are not always realistic, will leave you reaching for the impossible. 

Revert to your old habits

If you feel like all the diets and exercise still haven’t given you the 10-pack you wanted, you may think “ah screw it, I can’t do this.” Instead of letting this happen, try to set goals that are more general and broad, such as “I want to be healthier this year” or “I want to take a vacation this year.” This way, you are still setting healthy, positive goals and you have a much easier way to attain them. Eating healthier or exercising more daily may not give you your dream bod, but it will improve your overall mental and physical health. Traveling to every corner of the earth may not come true, but going to a local beach for a weekend or taking a short road trip to the next state over will still give you a new view and weekend of relaxation!

Set a goal JUST to set a goal

This, to me, seems to be the goal that appears to be the most harmless, but in fact can be the deadliest. I have so often seen people set goals just to fit in with everyone else, not because they truly want to change. The first thing people ask you when you see them in the new year is “so, what is YOUR resolution this year?” In my 19 years of life, I have yet to make a resolution. I never feel the need to make a goal for myself each and every year; I learn lessons throughout the year that influence me and mean more than any resolution I could make. Personally, I have had the same hopes and goals for many years: just be happy, healthy, and smart! Maybe the year before was a great year for you, and your “goal” is to just keep the good times going. That’s fine! Don’t make up a goal you don’t have any intention of working towards, just because Susie next door tells you to.

Rush your way through your goals 

PLEASE remember that you have 12 months to achieve whatever you want to achieve! If by January 31st your goal is not accomplished, don’t give up! If by May you aren’t feeling confident, don’t worry! No matter what you are working towards, the key is to remember that you are a human and you will mess up sometimes. You may have a setback that causes you to alter your goals, but you have an entire year to fix your mistakes.

To everyone who may have a resolution this 2018, I wish you good luck and happy thoughts on your journey! Be safe, have fun, explore, make new friends, and eat A LOT of chocolate!

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu