Anna Schultz-Girl Smiling In Bed Mood Lighting
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

What It’s Like Being an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Being an introvert is probably the best thing and worst thing that’s ever happened to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I love being around people but sometimes that can be very draining to the point where I just need my space.

For example, if I’m at a party where I don’t know anyone, the next thing I’m thinking about is going home. Parties make me feel very uncomfortable and I’d much rather be at home wearing sweats, chilling with no makeup on, and watching my favorite show or listening to music. I can be comfortable being a homebody and enjoy my time alone. It makes me happy.

The biggest misconception about introverts is that people think that introverts are rude and stuck up. This is not the case because even though we might not be the loudest person in the room, we still have things on our mind that we want to say. 

It takes me a while to open up to people because I’m not comfortable and I have to be able to trust you before I open up. Once I’m comfortable around you, then I get to show the sweet side that people don’t get to see. 

My own friends know that it takes me a while for me to open up and be vulnerable. I’m so grateful that they understand that because being an introvert isn’t easy. It took me a while for me to try to get out of my shell which is something that I’m still working on. I’ve learned that it’s okay to step out of your bubble because that’s just a part of life. I’m going to take it one day at a time and do things that I’m not comfortable doing because it just shows that I’m growing by stepping out of my bubble.

passionate about nutrition & women in sports and hopes to become an RD so I can help people to live healthy lifestyles. Rowan'26