What I Learned From Spongebob Is…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Every Tuesday and Thursday, my friend and I get out of class at the same time, so we spend our late afternoons playing Buzzfeed quizzes. What else would we do? Last week, we took Pick 11 Iconic ‘SpongeBob’ Moments and We’ll Reveal the One Job You’d Be Really Good At. Immediately, we started laughing at the different scenes to choose from and reminisced about how great that childhood show was. I read the comments left on the quiz and everyone seemed to share similar feelings: SpongeBob is one of the greatest shows of our generation. After reflecting on the show, I compiled a list of very valuable lessons the show has taught our generation.

Be Yourself

I think everyone can agree that this is the most important and prevalent lesson taught in SpongeBob. People, mainly Squidward, are constantly berating SpongeBob and Patrick for being weirdos, but it never phases them. All of the adventures they go on and the friends they make are directly a result of their weirdness. They always try to be themselves and the audience loves them for that. I think, especially for a young audience, this is something that should be emphasized as often as possible.

Never Give Up

In many episodes, SpongeBob and Patrick are challenged again and again as they are trying to go somewhere or get something. No matter what happens, they never give up. In the SpongeBob movie, when they get captured, their friendship and love for each other helps them get King Neptune’s crown back. SpongeBob, no matter how many times he fails his boating test, never stops trying. When Gary goes missing, SpongeBob never stops looking for him, until he finally comes home. If you want to succeed, take a lesson from SpongeBob and never stop trying.

Remember to Laugh

No matter how dire the situation is, SpongeBob and Patrick always find a way to have a laugh. The older you get, the more important this lesson becomes. Even when the situation seems hopeless, or you’re embarrassed by something, sometimes laughing can diffuse everything. What can’t be solved with a little humor?

All You Need is Your Best Friend

Without SpongeBob, without Patrick, the show would just not be the same. The duo is almost always together, joined at the hip. Even through minor disagreements, the pair always comes back together. In life, you can accomplish anything with your best friend by your side. You always need someone there to support you, go on adventures with you, and be there for you in the darkest of times. No one illustrates this better than these two.

Of course, there are many other lessons this show illustrates, but these were the lessons I felt were the most important. No matter where you are or the situation you are in, if you bring up any episode of SpongeBob, you will instantly spark conversation. It is something our generation will remember for the rest of our lives. Did this article make you want to go re-watch SpongeBob, because it certainly made me want to!

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu