This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

At the start of the semester, I had learned that menstrual products are the least donated product to homeless shelters in my area. Needless to say, I was devastated to realize this. I couldn’t imagine how degrading it must be to be without menstrual products during “that time of the month”. As a response, my friends and I decided that we would start a year-long period product drive to donate the products to homeless shelters in our community. Here are more items that homeless shelters need.

Socks 

At first glance, this is an item that you wouldn’t think of. But, having a clean pair of warm socks is vitally important to a person’s overall health and cleanliness. Having warm socks are especially during the colder seasons.

Toys

It’s really important for homeless children to be able to have so resemblance to normality. They deserve to have toys, books, and school supplies. Donate them if you can. 

Toiletries

Real talk. Everyone steals the single-use shampoo, conditioner, and soaps from hotel rooms. Instead of hoarding them in your closet, it’d be more beneficial to give it to homeless shelters.

Masks and other items to prevent COVID-19

We’re in a pandemic and it’s important to remember that the homeless are at risk. If you can please donate items to help keep the homeless community safe.

Reusable water bottles and other dining utensils

If the homeless come into contact with food or water it’d make a huge difference if they are able to store these items for later. 

Bookbags

Like reusable water bottles and dining utensils, book bags are an item of convenience for the homeless. Being able to safely carry and store items are of the uppermost importance to the homeless community.

First Aid Kits

Like menstrual products, this is another forgotten item to donate to the homeless. It’s vitally important for the homeless to be able to take care of themselves in a sanitary way if first aid is needed. 

Be the change in your community. Please try to find a way to donate or volunteer at a homeless shelter in your area.

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.