Culture > News

Trump’s Refusal to Renew Bill and What This Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

On December 28th, 2016, Former President Barack Obama, under the Antiquities Act, proclaimed Bears Ears Monument in Utah to be a National Monument. This land also includes sacred Indian land and ceremonial grounds, amounting to 1,351,849 acres. Republicans, upon the announcement of this bill, were thoroughly disappointed and vowed to get it reversed during the next presidency.

On December 4th, 2017, almost one year after Obama proclaimed this, President Trump reduced the Bears Ears Monument in Utah from 1.3 million acres to just 20, 400 acres. Alongside this monument, Trump also significantly reduced the size of the Grand Staircase-Escalante monument, which was previously established under president Bill Clinton, by 50 percent (about 1 million acres).

This was the biggest reduction in preserved land in the history of U.S. presidency.

There are many legal issues with what Trump did. The Antiquities Act Former President Barack Obama used to create this preserved land is the same act President Trump used to trim the boundaries. This, however, may not be legal; people are arguing that the Act gives the President power to establish national monuments, but nowhere does it say they can reduce or eliminate monuments. If this argument stands, then the land will be restored and be protected. If not, industrial development will immediately begin on once sacred Indian land.

If the change goes through, clearly the area will be destroyed. Already, because of the spotlight the area has had in the media, tourists are flooding there. They are destroying ancient burial grounds created by Indians and ruining ancient artifacts. This also poses a threat to the wildlife and ecosystem there as well.

The Bears Ears area is in the top 10% of areas out west with fantastic ecological intactness and connectivity, which are essentials for biodiversity. It is also in the top 4% of places with the lowest light pollution in the western U.S. It is also home to over 18 species on the endangered species list.

“The analysis finds that Bears Ears is one of the best landscapes in the West for preserving environmental assets and that the monument is key to protecting ecological functions and sensitive habitat in the region.”- americanprogress.org

How can you help?

http://bearsearscoalition.org Here, you can donate to help. Also on this website, you can email your Senator.

http://www.patagonia.com/new-localism/bears-ears.html Take Action with Patagonia

Talk about it

The best way to spread awareness about an issue is to talk about it on all social media platforms and to friends and family

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu