This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s no secret that I love thrifting. I’m more than likely a victim of retail therapy but combing through Goodwill is one of the ways I practice self-care. But, other than being a wonderful experience, shopping at your local thrift store creates social change. Here’s how:

Thrifting is an alternative to fast fashion

The Goodwill supports employment opportunities for people with disabilities

Do I need to say more? Check out more about Goodwill’s employment opportunities here

Buying clothes second hand prevents them from entering landfills

Did you know that 84% of unwanted clothes end up in landfills? That’s a crazy amount. Every time that I shop at the goodwill I’m saving my new favorite sweater from going into a landfill. 

It may just be the most ethical solution to buying products in a capitalist society

I know what you are about to say, “There is no ethical consumption under capitalism”. This is totally true. But, I live within a capitalist society where it’s nearly impossible for me not to participate in capitalism. Supporting thrift stores is one of the most ethical ways for me to shop.

So? What are you waiting for? Thrift for a change! 

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.