Suffering the Sophomore Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Do you ever have those days where you can’t seem to stay on top of anything? You know, when you wake up an hour late for class and, Surprise! you have a quiz on a chapter you fell asleep reading, without even taking out your contacts.. And then somehow that day turns into a week, and then the week turns into a month. Suddenly, you feel lost, confused, and – worst of all – useless. You came to college with goals and dreams, but everything keeps coming at you so fast, so you put those goals and dreams on hold.

If so, relax. It happens.

I couldn’t have been more excited to come back to campus this year. I was ready to no longer be the confused freshman and to really shine my second year. Little did I know, sophomore slump was real, and I was completely unprepared. Instead of feeling like the cool older sibling, I felt like the awkward and overlooked middle child. I couldn’t keep up with my assignments, I found myself skipping meals, oversleeping, and really lacking motivation. It was devastating, and I felt like I was the only one. What I kept forgetting was that I’m not alone, and it’s okay that at this moment in my life I don’t have everything together.

As collegiettes, we have to remember that not being 100 percent on top of things is okay, rough weeks come and go, and life will throw us curve balls – lots of them. Yes, there are some days that getting out of bed seems almost impossible; but when you do, remind yourself that you accomplished something that day. It’s the little things that keep us going.

Hi! I'm a freshman at Rowan University and am a double major in history and political science with a minor in Spanish. I'm a cupcake enthusiast and a wanderer, I love to write and travel. Once I broke my nose by slipping on ice cream in McDonald's and haven't been able to go back ever since. My favorite movies include Across the Universe, Sandlot, and basically every Disney movie ever made. I live by, "What Would Blair Waldorf Do?"
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.