Spotlight: Ngozi Ogbolu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Ngozi Ogbolu, 22 better known as Marie is a Junior at Rowan University and majoring in Criminal Justice. She is a phenomenal sister of one of the Divine 9 historically Black sororities Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. Theta Mu Chapter. Marie’s sorority was founded November 12, 1922 at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana by seven women educators. Her chapter was founded September 7, 1980 at Rowan University.

Q: Why did you join your sorority Sigma Gamma Rho and how has it inspired you?

A: I joined my sorority because it was one where I felt like I could be myself. I did not join my sorority because of popularity. Since we are the last sorority in the Divine 9 not a lot of people know about it and being apart of this sorority has helped me prosper in so many ways. All of the Sisters that I have met within my sorority are friendly and have welcomed me. I have become more attached to my sorors and my advisors. My sorority is great!

Q: What type of community service projects do you and your sisters participate in?

A: We host an event titled Operation Big Book Bag and donate to children that come from families who cannot afford to buy school supplies. Project Cradle Care is for teens who are pregnant and do not have the financial assistance to get diapers and bottles. We invite the teens out to our event and supply them with baby products. We also participate in the Breast Cancer Awareness and the St. Jude’s walk every year. My sisters and I go to the Kitchen Cathedral and volunteer to give back to the homeless. There is also an essay contest titled, Mwanamugimu for youth who research, write and learn about Africa.

Q: How many times a week do you practice when preparing for special events?

A: We practice every day especially for special events. My sorors and I always find times to meet up together and practice.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world with your sorority sisters to perform on Television where would it be and why?

A: I would want to go to the World Of Dance T.V. show that is broadcast in China. It would be amazing if we went here to perform knowing that the U.S. and China already have some type of bond and China is very well known and popping.

Q: Do you have any future Sigma Gamma Rho Theta Mu Chapter goals?

A: I would like to recruit more girls into my sorority. I want to expand on community service projects, special events, and more volunteer work. I would like to show out more on campus so that people know that we are not just a sorority who strolls on campus. We have morals that we live by and encourage each other as sisters to do our best.

Q: What advice can you give to other women who want to join your sorority?

A: The advice I can give to other women who want to join my sorority is to be yourself and do not be shy. If you are interested in my sorority do not be afraid to come to my sisters and I. We are all very nice sisters to talk to and have fun with.

For more information about Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. Theta Mu Chapter at Rowan University you can follow them on Instagram @thetamu_sgrho

Originally posted on Rowan’s Innovative Women!

I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.