Kellyn Simpkin-Strong Ass Powerful Girl
Kellyn Simpkin-Strong Ass Powerful Girl
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

A Special Thank You to My Pancreas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

When I was just 4 years old, my life was changed forever. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, a chronic condition where my pancreas decided to stop working (totally rude, I know) and producing a hormone called Insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar. While most people would decide this is where their life ended, I like to say that this is where my life began. As odd as it sounds, this disease has blessed me with so many beautiful experiences that I have learned from and became a stronger person through it all. With both the literal and figurative ups and downs, this disease has caused me to reflect on so many things, and for that, I am truly grateful.

This year has been one of the hardest years of my life, both mentally and physically. I was diagnosed with multiple mental health conditions and had one of the hardest times managing my diabetes. I was incredibly eager to begin this new chapter in my life, at a new school, after transferring to Rowan. I finally found my home as a Writing Arts student after a grueling semester as an engineer. My own hard work and positivity throughout this semester still shocks me, yet has also made me realize that anything is possible. I can thrive more than any single person on this planet due to the strength and demeanor I attained through my battles with a chronic illness. Through all of the rollercoaster-like blood sugars, insulin pump failures, and Minivan-like beeps signaling me to fix my daily dosages and mistakes (along with enough tears to fill a two-liter soda bottle), I have realized that the key to my own success is to take it day by day, one step at a time.

My own motivation has caused me to improve not only my life with diabetes but my outside life as well. That being said, my grades, social life, and overall capabilities have all improved tremendously thanks to my reflection and realizations. We all have the opportunity to improve every single day, minute, even second of our lives, and it’s just a matter of how we react to our surroundings and challenges that determine our success. It’s important to follow passions and fail in order to eventually succeed. This being said, it is also crucial to stay positive. While diabetes can be overwhelming for me almost 90% of the time, I realized that it’s not easy… at all… and that I need to focus on the positives in order to be successful at anything in life. After all, a long healthy life is composed of smaller moments of success and healthy living.

This doesn’t just apply to people battling illness; everyone has their own demons and their own battles. It is up to you how you decide to conquer them. Find strength in yourself to do so. So, as I grow into the next phase of my life, I just wanted to give a special thanks to my pancreas for failing and showing me that no matter what happens, anything is possible, and even with this disease that wants to knock me down 7 times, I will always, always stand up 8. As should you.

Maranda is a Senior Writing Arts and Emergency Management dual major at Rowan University. She hopes to become a published poetry author and eventually go to law school or work for Homeland Security. In her free time she enjoys listening to all genres of music, reading, creating art, writing poetry, and watching 80s movies.
Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.