Wellness > Mental Health

Sorry I Can’t, I Have a Date…With Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Our world is an incredibly fast-paced place. Is it just me or do you sometimes feel like you don’t even have time to breathe? You’re gasping for air as life piles on, obstacle after obstacle. Whether it’s statistics homework, biology research papers, final exams, or just remembering to take your contacts out before you go to sleep, our minds are working a mile a minute. For every thing I check off on my to-do list, it seems like two more tasks get added.In order to keep my brain functioning properly, I go on dates. Oh no…not with my boyfriend, with myself. Here’s a list of my favorite solo date spots!

• The Coffee Shop

Is it just me or does the atmosphere of a coffee shop make everything better? The second I step into the shop and smell the freshly brewed coffee and croissants, I feel as if I’m being welcomed with open arms. Picture this, you’re in your fluffiest, most comfortable oversized sweater sipping your favorite warm beverage, accompanied by the soothing sounds of acoustic coffee shop music. Sounds pretty calming to me. Even if you have to cave into your to-do list and bring your laptop to get some work done, a change of scenery is a great treat from a suffocating dorm/bedroom.

• A Night In

A few nights ago I came across a few lush products and face masks to which had adopted a place in the back of my bathroom cabinet. In the rapid rhythm of the real world, it’s so much easier to jump in the shower and speed through a skin-care routine. Well, to be fair I wouldn’t even call it skin-care routine. It’s more-so a quick cleansing routine to make sure people aren’t fainting when you lift your arms. It was on this full-mooned Sunday night that I decided a pamper night was just what I needed to unwind and prepare for the Biology 8 am I was going to embark on the following morning. So, I gathered my skincare products and got in the shower…after shuffling my favorite chill- time playlist of course. Artists like Daniel Caesar, Alt Bloom, Jaymes Young, and Rex Orange County are, in my opinion, perfect for winding down. After showering, I put on a face mask. Now whether or not this three dollars trendy sheet mask did anything for my skin, I still felt like a new person. The rest of my night consisted of lighting candles, reading, having a solo dance party to Disney soundtracks, and enjoying some goldfish. This inexpensive, at-home date was by-far my favorite. We all need to treat ourselves to a night-in every once in a while.

• Dinner Date

Although going out to eat alone can seem daunting to some, there is absolutely no shame in it. If you live on campus or you commute and forgot to pack a lunch, you know how easy it is for meals to become a chore. I’m sorry to admit it, but a good bit of the dining options on campus may or may not have an aftertaste of salted cardboard. I realize that there are two main reasons why people hesitate to go out to dinner alone.

1. Social Stigmas

I personally get incredibly self-conscious when I’m alone. I make up all of these ideas in my head that people are staring at me or think I’m weird. What I’m slowly learning is that people are not paying that of close attention to you. Yes, you are a wonderful, beautiful person but the majority of people are caught up in their own worlds to notice yours. Do you ever notice that the table across the restaurant from you has seven people at their table? Or whether or not the people in the booth next to you have ordered yet? Of course, you don’t. Now there is always the occasional extremely observant person but for the most part, people are more concerned if their waiter who didn’t write their order down is going to remember that they asked for dressing on the side. People go to a restaurant to enjoy a meal or spend time with others, not judge the girl who’s sitting alone. So go to your favorite restaurant by yourself! Bring a book or bring earphones if you must.

2.The Cost

The second reason why people hesitate to go out to dinner, in general, is the cost. Food can be expensive! Sometimes the budget just isn’t cooperating and you can’t afford a meal at some insanely expensive steakhouse. Keep on the lookout for lunch specials and happy hours! Enjoying a delicious meal on a budget is not impossible. Sometimes it is easy to forget how vital self-care is. Taking time out of our busy lives to focus on ourselves is not selfish, it is unbelievably beneficial. Whether you’re like me and enjoy coffee shops, pamper nights, and one-person dinner dates or you prefer playing Sims 4, going ax throwing, and watching reruns of Golden Girls, setting aside time to do something you enjoy so important. Now go on a date with your gorgeous self, you deserve it!

Emily is currently a freshman at Rowan University. She is earning her degree in Psychology with two minors in Writing Arts and Theater. She enjoys reading, acting, and is a huge Disney fan (preferably Disney Channel original movies). Follow her on Instagram @em.colon
Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.