This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I love the holiday season. The cold weather, bundling up to achieve peak coziness, and spending time with loved ones is such a wonderful experience. Little things like walking around my college town are even better during wintertime. But this year, thanks to the pandemic the holidays are going to feel a little different. Many people, including myself, aren’t going to be able to see their loved ones. My town canceled their winter celebration and the holiday season feels a little off. But just because we’re in a pandemic doesn’t mean that we can’t celebrate wintertime. Here are a few winter activities that I’m definitely going to do this season.

Do a Holiday Light Tour

Looking at how people decorate their houses is such a nice activity. I love checking out the Christmas lights, lawn inflatables, and other cute decorations. You can drive in a car to different neighborhoods or walk around your city to create a perfectly socially distant event. 

Have a Holiday Movie Marathon

Thanks to companies like Netflix and Disney plus it’s easy to watch holiday movies in totally different places. I can’t wait to watch movies with my friends that I can’t see because of the pandemic.

Start a Zoom Gingerbread House Compitition 

Zoom has taken over my life tbh. But, since I’ve been using zoom for literally everything in my life I think using the platform for virtual gingerbread contests is fitting.

Volunteer to help COVID relief

The holidays aren’t just about receiving it’s about giving. Start a mask drive, donate to charities, and volunteer at homeless shelters if you can.

Participate in a Holiday bake-off

My friend Jules actually inspired this idea. We wanted to hang out but couldn’t because we wanted to be socially distant. So we decided to facetime and make cookies together. Mine ended up really burnt but the night was fun anyway!

Make your own Holiday Decorations

Yes, I *actually* made my dreidel out of clay. 

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.