This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

You may have noticed the students sleeping in tents this past week near the Rec Center. No they weren’t just there because the weather is finally nice out, they have a mission—promote education as a right instead of corporate education controlled by administration. 

“A demonstration to show we can learn together and promote free thinking, like college should be,” is how Jenna Siegel, a senior who has been involved with the club since her freshman year, explained it. 

The main purpose of Tent State, which began 10 years ago at Rutger’s University, is to create your own community, promote the right to higher education and ability to teach and learn from one another, according to a press release. Rowan’s Tent State also had live music every night during their five-day long event to promote the arts as well. 

There were guest speakers and presentations this past week including talks about gender and the media and black lives matter. There was a set schedule of workshops but anyone could come up to the area and present, such as an impromptu meditation presentation. 

Siegel specifically got involved with Rowan Tent State because, “This was the first time I realized I realized as a student I have power. It’s beautiful to see other students recognize that as well.” 

Visit their Twitter page for more information or email them at rowantentstate@gmail.com!