jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rowan Environmental Action League is Here to Kick A**

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

As the semester kicks off all our student organizations are in full planning mode. I’m proud to be on the E-Board of a group of active individuals that want to achieve sustainability goals on campus. Rowan Environmental Action League (REAL), is an environmental advocacy group that has a three-pronged style; we are working to educate folks in the hopes of organizing a  movement to join us in taking real action for our environment. Here at Rowan, we have a great opportunity to make a difference in the daily operations and campus culture to work towards sustainable practices. 

One major way the student body can help create change is through giving input on a new Sustainability Master Plan that is being drafted. This will be a comprehensive plan that addresses energy, waste, landscaping, and other sustainability issues for our campus. REAL has two members on the planning board for this document so we are urging students to reach out to us with any ideas or concerns you might have. Getting our ideas in this document is not enough though; we need to actually work to implement projects with the goals of sustainability and human flourishing in mind. 

As a group we are focusing on improving waste management through the reduction of single-use plastics, upgraded recycling policies and training programs, campus beautification, composting and increasing the re-use and sharing of items. These are just our goals when it comes to curbing the amount of waste our Rowan community sends to landfill! Other projects include increasing habitat for wildlife, growing our own food, and pressing administration to enact policies that aim to tackle the growing threat of climate change. 

We currently have a petition that students can sign to show President Houshmand that climate action is something we demand from our institution. It is important that as a community we use our influence to back the scientific community and those around the world that are already feeling the impacts of a changing climate. 

If you are passionate about sustainability, please come to our first meeting on 9/17 in Student Center 144 @ 6 PM. Come have your ideas heard by our e-board and help us plan our semester projects! If you can’t make the meeting but have a great idea to share; email rowanenviro@gmail.com

JoAnna is a Junior Environmental and Sustainability Studies major with minors in Planning, Economics, and Ethics. She aspires to be an environmental policy analyst specializing in the connections between the economy, environmental sustainability, and human well-being. She currently is on the leadership team for her town’s environmental commission, Rowan Environmental Action Club (REAL) and New Jersey Student Sustainability Coalition.
Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.