This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Everytime I read an article about Brock Turner that dubs him the “Stanford Swimmer” I feel myself seething with anger. Recently Turner’s victim, Chanel Miller, has revealed her name to the public and that she wrote a memoir.  Miller states that, “She wants the world to know her name”. In the same vein of Chanel’s unbelievable courage and inspiring spirit I’d like the world to remember her rapist’s name too. 

When I hear people talk about Brock Turner,they describe him as an athlete who made an unfortunate choice. In fact, many talk about him as if raping someone isn’t a concious choice. As if it’s not inherently an act of violence that dehumanizes it’s victims. The only unfortunate thing about Brock Turner is that because he is a white, privileged, athlete he wasn’t charged with rape. That with every breath of freedom that Turner takes, every rapist is suddenly vindicated of their crimes. Martin Luther King once said, “An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere”. And Brock Turner being a free man is an injustice to every woman who experienced sexual violence everywhere. 

Brock Turner is not worthy of sympathy. He is not defendable. He is not worth anything other than the effort it takes to spite him. Whenever you say the name “Brock Turner” the next words that should come out of your mouth is “the rapist”. I refuse to entertain any notion or anyone who thinks otherwise. 

You can preorder Chanel Miller’s memoir here.

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.