Recycling is Hard, Here are Some Tips to Make it Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

We’re currently facing a recycling crisis in the United States; the main issue is contamination. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 75% of the American waste stream is recyclable but in reality, just about 30% is recycled.

A majority of Americans just don’t understand single-stream recycling. Honestly, who could blame us? Just take a look at recycling assistant Recycle Coach; a quick look and you can immediately see the complexity involved! I hope these quick tips help you be a better recycler! 

• Keep bags out of the bin! Plastic bags are not recycled by plants, they actually slow down operations by gumming up the machinery. If you have plastic shopping bags take them to a store that safely recycles them
  • Rinse everything out! Liquids and food items are commonly left in products; when this happens recycling handlers send the entire batch to the landfill! A quick rinse is good enough.  
  • Keep styrofoam out! That means those coffee cups and food containers! These items never break down, so honestly, you should get them out of your life completely! 
  • Only include #’s 1 & 2 plastics! These are the only types of plastics that are accepted in Glassboro and most municipalities across the Country. Try to stay away from other types of plastics or contact companies to urge them to switch their materials! Make sure to toss all caps in the garbage as well!

If you’re not positive about whether or not an item should go in recycling; leave it out! It’s better not to risk the contamination than to go with your own wish that something can have a new life!

Remember that Recycle is only the 3rd R in Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, & Repair! Use reusable items whenever possible, be conscious about the items you purchase and try to find second-hand items first! 

Keep an eye out for Rowan Environmental Action League around campus, as we will be holding recycling demos and discussing other waste projects such as composting!

JoAnna is a Junior Environmental and Sustainability Studies major with minors in Planning, Economics, and Ethics. She aspires to be an environmental policy analyst specializing in the connections between the economy, environmental sustainability, and human well-being. She currently is on the leadership team for her town’s environmental commission, Rowan Environmental Action Club (REAL) and New Jersey Student Sustainability Coalition.