Real Housewives of New Jersey visits Rowan’s Barnes and Noble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Glassboro, NJ—“We want Melissa! We want Melissa!” Rowan students and local residents rolled deep anxiously awaiting Melissa Gorga’s, star of the Real Housewives of New Jersey, arrival at the local Barnes and Noble on Sept. 24.

“Hello! Guys get together. I want to tweet my fans,” Gorga quickly snaps a photo of screaming fans holding up their books before sitting down to begin her book signing.

This reality television star is an inspiration to many viewers. Fans were shocked to find out she was coming close to Rowan University along with her husband, Joe.

Gorga’s book, Love Italian Style: The Secrets of My Hot and Happy Marriage, gives women with significant others helpful hints on how to keep their partner happy. Although, most of Gorga’s unspoken advice on reality television is to reach out to family members. This way they can resolve issues for the benefit of the family.

Most people recognize Gorga because of her controversial relationship with her sister-in-law, Theresa. The show displays their dysfunctional relationship and its effects on the children within the family.

This rivalry and constant battle on the show reached people nationwide. Sharing familiar issues made a large impact on the audience.

Everyone can relate to family issues. Gorga acknowledges her mistakes but in her book tells women to ignore the drama around them and focus on what matters—family.

“My inspiration is my hubby and most definitely my kids,” Gorga says as she kisses her husband’s cheek. “They keep me sane.”

She cherishes her family above everything, hoping her fans see this, too. Gorga spoke with fans about her experiences while graciously posing for photos.

“You are my inspiration. I absolutely love you on the show,” says Rowan student and huge fan, Kim Klipper to Gorga. “You encouraged me to talk to my cousins when my family went through issues.”

Kim is not alone. Fans told Gorga she motivated them to resolve family problems immediately.

“Watching her on television gave me the strength to bring my family together,” says Kim.  “Without her I would have never took that leap.”

Gorga’s presence on reality television does overshadow her book yet highly attributes to her sales. Fans focused more on her personality and family orientation than her book.

Gorga’s book can be purchased at the Barnes and Noble in Glassboro, NJ and participating book stores. 

Nora is a junior at Rowan University. She is pursuing a double major in public relations and advertising, minors in journalism and marketing and a concentration in honors. That sure is a mouthful! She is a member of Theta Phi Alpha. A loyal student of the University, Nora is the PR Director for Career Management Center, an intern at University Advising Center and last, but not least, assistant to Dean Richard Jones! A passionate professional at the least- Nora hopes to find her calling in the communication industry through taking advantage of many opportunities locally.