#NoScrubs: Knowing What You Want in a Partner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I think that every modern day girl has her own dating deal breakers. I used to think that it was shallow to mentally check off things that my potential s/o’s had on the list. I felt like I was shopping around for love instead of finding it authentically. But as I grew older I realized that I know what I know and I want what I want. It’s unfair to tell yourself to settle for love just because your afraid that you won’t receive it.

I’m not saying that you have to search for Prince Charming. If I’m being honest, Prince Charming doesn’t exist–there’s no such thing as a perfect guy. But that doesn’t mean that you have to settle for the court jester.

SO Requirements

• Feminist
  • Intelligent
  • Kind
  • Gentle 
  • Funny

These are rules that I don’t step away from when looking for a serious partner. I think that girls are expected to find a guy underneath a time crunch and bend to the rules that they set for themselves. So they waste their time on someone who isn’t worth it. Or worse they end up with someone who devalues them as a person.

As Cruella de Ville once said, “More good women have been lost to marriage…than to war, famine, disease, and disaster. You have talent, darling. Don’t squander it.”. There’s so many girls who cave into finding a lackluster guy and then keep on settling for less.You should know your worth and never settle.

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.