This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Need a good distraction during these difficult times? Get invested in these creative worlds!

The Promised Neverland

This a newer one, and from the first episode, I was immediately hooked. The tension and the creepy elements in this anime are amazing, and the characters are easy to root for, especially Emma, Ray, and Norman. The stakes are also high, so the story easily sucks you in. I also read all of the manga so far, and I breezed through these and I am so excited for season two of the anime to come out, so I can see the characters once more! As a final note, the soundtrack is pretty cool, especially “Isabella’s Lullaby”, which is really beautiful and “Dancing Krone”, which is so fun to listen to. 

Hunter X Hunter

Okay, to be honest, it was really hard to choose between spot number one and two for this one because I love it so much, but the only reason I have this at number two is because of the slow pacing of the Chimera Ant Arc, and honestly, that’s the biggest flaw I can think of for this anime.

I must say that I do like how they split the story into different arcs, but that one was way too long. On a better note, the outfit changes for Gon and Killua throughout the different arcs were cool. It was also really interesting to see how these two friends grew together in physical, mental, and emotional strength, and overall they had great character development! The big bads are interesting too, especially Hisoka, who I adore. I also loved watching how Gon and Killua’s friendship developed through the good and the bad. And I have to say, Killua is one of my favorite anime characters of all time. I love the yoyo, the lightning, the skateboard, his family, even his hair, just all of it is amazing. This show is definitely worth the watch, it will make you laugh, cry, tear your hair out, and sing along to the opening song. 

Dr. Stone

First of all, the concept of this anime is really unique and interesting. It is really cool to see the characters interact with science in their stone world. I have to say I am very impressed with the writers, they know how to write a compelling story, and I love each direction they take at each new turn in the plot and development of the characters. Not to mention, the humor and the facial expressions are amazing and the characters are really interesting. Finally, this soundtrack is amazing, and I highly recommend Dr. Stone!

Kill la Kill

Okay, so at first the over the top nature of this show was a bit intimidating, but I quickly got used to this bold style and came to enjoy it, especially the huge red letters. The friendship between two of the main characters, Ryuko and Mako, is fun to watch and the fight scenes are entertaining. Overall, I just like how this show is fun and ridiculous and doesn’t take itself too seriously. So, if you’re looking for a silly watch I recommend this show.

Death Note

I watched this a couple of years ago, but I remember I liked it so much that I finished it in two days. The plot was really gripping and “L” was a really interesting character. Also, the movie adaptation that came out in 2017 is 100% not as good as the anime, so watch at your own risk. In the end, the concept of this anime was interesting and the evolution of Light’s character was cool to watch unravel.

Demon Slayer

First of all, the overall animation of this anime is gorgeous, especially the water and fire animation. I also really like the character design of Tanjiro. As for the other characters, I think they are designed pretty well, more specifically I like the usage of masks and colorful eyes. The plot is interesting and I like the dynamic between Tanjiro and his sister Nezuko. And although this anime can get serious at times, I appreciate the comic relief provided by Inosuke and Zenitsu, the other members of Tanjiro’s company of traveling Demon Slayers. Also, the opening song is pretty good, and I recommend you give it a listen and Demon Slayer a watch. 

Mob Psycho 100

I’m still working on this one, but I really enjoy it so far! Mob’s psychic powers are really cool to watch and the animation overall is really pleasing to look at, it has a unique look to it. I like how this show can go from silly to serious pretty easily. The plot for this is really interesting and I love the inclusion of spirits, demons, and psychic powers. Lastly, the opening song for the first season is pretty catchy. I’m looking forward to the second season, I heard it was really good.

Re:Zero

Okay so, yes this anime can be very sad at times, but it is still really good. As the plot continues, one feels more and more sympathy for the protagonist as his life continues to become full of despair. Betelgeuse, one of the antagonists, is truly terrifying and makes the show so much more satisfying to watch. My favorite episode is episode fifteen due to its haunting ending scene, which is one of the best scenes ever in this anime.

Little Witch Academia

This one is a good “feel-good” anime because the magical powers and the adventures the main characters, Akko, Lotte, and Sucy, go on are mostly fun and whimsical. The characters are likable and well-defined, and the opening songs are really good as well. And all around, this anime just exudes positivity and friendship, and I recommend watching this when you want to be in a good mood!

Bananya

This last one is a bit silly, but I wanted to include it because the cats in the bananas are really cute. The episodes are really short too, so it’s good to watch when you have little time to spare. There isn’t really a solid plot to this, but if you love cute cats then this show is for you!

Honorable mentions:

1. Tower of God: This series is new, but very promising! The premise is interesting and was a beloved story for many before it was recently adapted into an anime. The characters are really entertaining too. I have a good feeling about this one, and it’s only four episodes in, so you can get caught up easily!
  2. Symphogear: Okay, so my boyfriend FINALLY talked me into watching this with him. As he describes it, it is a niche within a niche within a niche. So, you have a magical girl mecha musical. Watch Symphogear.
Julianna is a writer, artist, and mental health advocate. She graduated from Rowan University in 2020 with a BA in English and a minor in Creative Writing. She was the Fall 2o2o Media Editor for Glassworks Magazine, a publication of Rowan University's Master of Arts in Writing. In her free time, she enjoys baking desserts for her family, adding to her sticker collection, and listening to spooky stories.
Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.