This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Julie Roberts, a theatre and english double major at Rowan is really involved with the theater department here and hopes to continue pursuing her dream after college. [Theatre] has the ability to affect people and bring about social change and to form communities. It has so much more power than whats on it’s surface.”

1. Where does your passion for theater come from? Can you briefly describe why you immerse yourself in many theater experiences?

I think my passion for theatre really stems from a desire to share myself with the world. When you’re constantly taking on different roles, you get to learn about pieces of yourself that you might have never known existed. In playing those roles, you share yourself with the audience in a very honest way. Ive learned in my theatre training that sharing yourself with people is generous because no one else can fully be you. I immerse myself in theatre because i am addicted to creating human connections and having experiences with people. I love having an environment that i can become more myself everyday. 

2. Overall, why do you think theater is important (whether that be to you, college students or society)?

I believe theatre is important on a larger scale because it is innately human… the idea of human connection and interaction. It has the ability to affect people and bring about social change and to form communities. It has so much more power than whats on it’s surface. I want to be a part of theatre that makes people want to be generous with themselves also… to freely give of who they are the way actors do.

3. Can you tell me a little more about the two clubs you are in, Campus Players and Lab Theatre? What are the missions of these clubs and how do you play a part?

“Campus players fundraises and works to tour mainstage shows to other venues while assisting theatre activities that enhance the cultural development of the college”. This club is one that every theatre major is a part of innately.They kind of supplement things that the department can not give us. I participate in the workshops they hold and I often volunteer to make the concessions they sell at our department shows. I go to all the meetings they hold and give my input about decisions to be made in the future.

“Lab Theatre serves as a wholly student selected, produced, and staffed theatre organization. Thus, the organization is a laboratory, giving students experience in all aspects of theatre activity. It is also a lab for student experimentation and exploration of theatrical literature and styles.” Basically, they allow students to put on their own productions which gives many opportunities to theatre students who act, direct, write, design etc. This year, I was fortunate enough to be cast in on of the shows called Melancholy Play which was written by a published playwright, but was designed and directed in full by students. Working with other students was humbling and eye opening and made me so proud to be working alongside of these students. I learned so much not just in the realm of acting but in seeing how much blood, tears and sweat go into putting on a production. 

4. What do you see for yourself for the future? I know you mentioned you will be performing for the Choreography Showcase—do you hope to have other experiences such as this one? 

It’s difficult to plan for the future because life has a way of laughing at the plans you make. But ideally, I would love to be acting in Philadelphia in professional theatres. The Choreography Showcase is another student created production that I am so excited to be a part of because I have never considered myself anything besides an actor. But I think this experience has opened me up to many other possibilities of performance such as dance and movement driven theater. I know I am also interested in voice overs, musicals, film, and anything else I can try, really. I know when I get older that I am willing to do whatever it takes to continue in a career in theatre even if that means having another job or two to keep myself financially stable. Theatre makes me a better person and I always want to be in it. 

*Photos by Mark Williams and MWPhoto