This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

For most of my life, I knew I was attracted to both men and women. Sexuality is something that I feel everyone struggles with or questions at least once in their life, whether you’re straight or otherwise; it’s fluid. I was never someone who was in denial of my sexuality, however, that doesn’t mean I didn’t have a hard time fully understanding and accepting who I was. It was a whole process and learning experience for me to see who truly cared for me and who I had to let go in my life in order to become the person I wanted to be. Coming out allowed me to develop myself as an individual and stop feeling as though I were living a double life; it freed me from the fear of being outed and judged, which was the root of much of my anxiety in much of my teen years. Lying about your identity to the people you are closest to isn’t fun…. at all- it’s like hiding that you’re a superhero that just saved the world, or a secret agent or something of the sort. You want to tell everyone, but fear they might think of you differently. But all in all, you shouldn’t live in fear, as that’s no way to live your life.

Below, I have listed the reasons why coming out is a beautiful process that you need to embrace fully.

**Note: Always make sure you are in a safe environment to come out. If you are in harm’s way, do not do so and seek out a group you can confide in! Stay strong. (Resources down below)****

​Coming out will empower those who can’t or are too afraid to. The LGBTQ+ community is one that I am truly proud of being a part of due to the overwhelming amounts of support that I have received and the friendships I have made.

couple wrapped in Pride flag
Samantha Hurley from Burst

In times like these, coming out is a political act. In a world where antigay policies are being enforced daily, you are raising awareness for the entire cause by simply accepting who you are and who so many people around you are. Coming out also respects the works of many LGBTQ+ activists before you.

pride parade with rainbow flags
Photo by Gotta Be Worth It from Pexels

Coming out will give you your most honest picture of life. It will align you onto the right path with the right people who will make your life as special as it deserves to be. They will support you and you will support them endlessly.

One man with Pride flag, other man hugging him
Samantha Hurley from Burst

It will help you measure your strength. Coming out is to this day one of the hardest things I have ever done. If you can do this, you can do anything.
You will learn that other people’s opinions truly have nothing to do with you. People can kiss your a** if they don’t like who you are.

Photo by Michelle Ding from Unsplash

No one cares as much as you do. Oftentimes, you’re your own worst enemy and people will love you any way you are.

Original Illustration by Her Campus Media

You will finally be authentically you.

self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

You can finally live your life freely.

Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels

Anxieties will ease.

neon sign in greenery
Photo by Max Van Den Oetelaar from Unsplash

Most importantly, YOLO ;)

image of black woman amongst flowers
Photo by Clarke Sanders from Unsplash

Always remember, regardless of who you are or how you identify, you’re totally kick-ass and amazing just as you are and were made to be! Embrace the superhero that you are and kick down that closet door; it’s no fun living in there alone.

LGBTQ+ Hotlines/ Resources:
Maranda is a Senior Writing Arts and Emergency Management dual major at Rowan University. She hopes to become a published poetry author and eventually go to law school or work for Homeland Security. In her free time she enjoys listening to all genres of music, reading, creating art, writing poetry, and watching 80s movies.