This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Growing up I was always a rebel without a cause. If something was unfair I made it a point to rally all of my energy against it. At the same time, I didn’t like the chaotic energy of marches and protests. I wanted to help big problems in my own little way. I loved volunteering because of the tingly feeling that it gives me and the change that I’ve seen because of the work I did. Because of this, I was heavily involved in volunteer organizations around my highschool.

My favorite volunteer experience was around Christmas time. During the holiday season, people hope to give gifts to their loved ones. Unfortunately, for many people who are blind, they might have to rely on someone to help them pick out gifts. This means that someone might not be able to be surprised by their own gift. This can lead to a lot of stress and anxiety during a season that should be joyful.

A few of my friends and I shopped with blind youth and helped them pick out Christmas gifts for their families. Then we wrapped it for them. It was such a simple (and honestly fun) experience that made me realize that volunteering should always be an essential part of my life. I loved helping people and helping them keep their agency. It was great because the activity wasn’t stemmed from a savior complex but rather a desire to do something good.

In college, I lost my way a little bit when it came to volunteering. I started off strong helping to build houses for Hurricane Sandy relief, doing Manis for Grannys, and other volunteering events. Then, I joined a sorority and a lot of my volunteering involved sitting at a table and raising money for different causes. It felt like I was checking a box for a company instead of actually helping people. I didn’t like it. But, I convinced myself that any difference helped. When I left the sorority I finally was able to make changes for causes that I actually cared about. I loved regaining a passion for helping others around me. I was finally able to get involved with projects that made me feel like I’m inspiring and creating change.

I’m leaving my community in a few months for another. Although I know I could’ve done so much more I’m grateful that I was allowed to try to make a little bit of social change. It makes me giddy to know that in a little bit of time I’d have the ability to do the same somewhere totally different.

Having something at stake in my community really made me feel attached to it. I’m really proud to say that no matter where I live I’ll be able to love it because of my connection to volunteering.

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.