Hair survival guide of winter: 3 tips to protect your hair from the harsh winter.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

As a college student walking around from class to class or having the heat up in our dorms we do a lot of damage to our hair. Not to mention, all of the heat we use with our hairstyling tools. Don’t worry ladies I know exactly how to save your precious locks.

“The environment can have some of the most damaging effects on hair in both summer and winter, but in winter it’s often worse because people generally don’t take as many precautions to protect their hair,” says celebrity stylist Nick Chavez, owner of the Nick Chavez Beverly Hills Salon and a QVC hair care expert.

1.      Less Shampooing: Ladies and gentleman of Rowan I know the idea of not showering sounds disgusting, but believe me it’ll do wonders to your hair. It’s the cheapest method of taking care of your hair. When your hair is wet and it’s cold outside it causes your hair to become dry. Limit washing your hair to 2-3 times a week.  If you don’t want to go around campus with oily hair throw on a beanie or a silk scarf.

2.      Delete the Heat:  After escaping the cold from outside you probably want to turn your thermostat up. Well that a big no no.  As lovely as it sounds to have your room feeling nice and toasty.  It’s a terrible idea for your hair. You need to keep the moisture in your hair and by having a dry room you’ll cause your hair to be brittle. This rule goes for hairstyling tools. The less you use hairstyling tools the better for your hair.

3.      Deep Conditioner: Deep conditioner is your lifesaver. The best part is that on a college student budget you can actual afford this product. If you want to make your hair strong and beautiful, I would suggest mustard oil. This the product a lot of Pakistani and Indian women use and that’s why their hair is long and healthy.  Mustard oil consists of Vitamin A which is great for getting long and strong hair. Make sure to massage the mustard oil in your scalp and you can put it on your ends as well. My tip is to do this when you have no plans on the weekend. If you do this consistently you will see results.  Mustard oil costs around $5. You’ll save a lot of money and hair by doing this deep conditioning.

I hope you all enjoyed these tips and try them out. I know we all want amazing hair and this is exactly the way to get healthy hair.