Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Free or Cheap Valentines Day Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Don’t hate me but, I absolutely love Valentine’s Day. This is despite being single and broke. I feel like a lot of people diss Valentine’s day because of the rampant consumerism and loneliness that the holiday seems to produce. Don’t get me wrong I feel a tinge of sadness when I realize that I’m alone on yet another Valentine’s day. But I think it’s important to remember what Valentine’s day is really about–different types of love and expressing care for yourself and others. Just because the “picture perfect” Valentine’s day is consumer-driven and romantic filled doesn’t mean that yours has to be. Here are a few Valentine’s day ideas that can be done solo, with a group of friends, a S/o, and that are cheap or completely free! 

Have a love-filled movie night.

This movie-night invites all sorts of love. Are you watching flicks with your best friends? Try out watching movies staring iconic BFFs–The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Clueless, and other friend-filled flicks. Are you watching movies by yourself? Watch some of your favorite movies filled with iconic lead characters. Personally, I’m looking forward to rewatching Legally Blonde and my favorite movie ever Thirteen Going on Thirty. And of course, there’s no short supply of romcoms to watch with your bae! 

Bake your heart out!

Who needs to buy chocolates? Open up your oven and make some sweet treats! Either solo bake or have a “Great British Bakeoff” style competition with your loved ones. Personally, I’m going to be making sugar cookies for myself on Valentine’s day.

Have a spa/self-care night

Just because you are practicing self-care does not mean that you have to spend loads of money. My idea of self-care is a bubble bath, painting my nails, and going to bed early. If you are spending Valentine’s day with another person then you can figure out ways to take care of each other. DIY face masks, massages, or even something simple like braiding each other’s hair is all good activities to take care of someone you love. 

DIY a Paint and Sip

If you don’t drink alcohol then trade out wine for your nonalchoholic beverage of choice!

Take a Long Walk

I feel like walking really puts things into perspective. Whether you take a romantic stroll around town, take a solo hike, or hit the town with your besties walking is a wonderfully free activity.

Have a no expectations night

Sometimes the best things that happen aren’t planned. Instead of stressing out over what you are doing on Valentine’s day just let loose! Who needs a plan to have anyways? 

No matter what your budget, or who you are spending Valentine’s day with I hope you have an amazing time filled with love!

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.