This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Well, everybody, it’s November, which means the best holiday of the year is just around the corner .

That’s right, it’s Thanksgiving, the feel-good holiday of the year where family and friends get together and everyone eats double their bodyweight in food.

This holiday is truly the best because it’s not focused around presents; it is simply about celebrating the relationships that we share with the people we love most in our lives. At this holiday, everyone can truly enjoy themselves and just take it slow. You can go outside and have some friendly competition with family by playing Cornhole or KanJam, can watch football on a comfortable couch, or spend time in the kitchen making the most delicious mashed potatoes. Also, don’t forget to tune into the Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV to see all of the new and exciting parade floats.

However, this holiday is not only about enjoying yourself and taking things slow, it is about being thankful for what you have. Living in a society that is very selfish can sometimes make us forget what is actually important in life. I am not saying that everyone forgets but many people, myself included, have fallen victim to forgetting. It’s okay to be in a selfish mood sometimes, but it’s very important to also get out of that mindset, especially during this time of the year.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I think it’s important for everyone to take a few minutes and just think about what they really should be thankful for. First off, we should all be thankful that we are able to read this article on our very own phone, tablet, or laptop. How fortunate it you are to be able to have such nice things. We should also be thankful for people around us, not just the things we have.  

So, this upcoming Thanksgiving when you see your family and friends, make sure to say to at least one of them that you appreciate them and are thankful that they are in your life. I hope everyone enjoys this laid back holiday, and remember — share the thanks!

Hello! I am a freshman at Rowan University studying Elementary Ed and English. I hope you enjoy my writing!
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.