This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

With graduation approaching in May, many students want to commemorate their time at their college in a special way. Some will choose little stuffed bears with their school’s logo on it or even stuffed mascots. Others will find little sayings on plaques and put them on their desks or walls. Here is one really cool way to commemorate your time at a college or high school: a memorial shadow box.

This project is actually a lot simpler than it sounds. First, find a shadow box that suits the size you want. A 11”x 14” is one of the best sizes as it allows for a bit of room to add your cap as well as your diploma. Second, gather the items you want to place inside. I will be making three different shadow boxes; one for my high school, one for my undergraduate university, and one for my graduate school. I will be placing my graduation cap, diplomas, acceptance letters, any honors cords/ medallions and other pins and such inside. However, it can vary per person.

You will want to place your diplomas in a protective plastic cover (you can decorate it with paper to make it look better). This is to help keep it protected from sun damage as well as age and other calamities that may befall the box. Finally, put push pins in the backs of the graduation caps to help keep it in place. Below are a few examples of different shadow boxes and ideas to help get you started.

These can also be used as gifts for graduates to be as well if you yourself are not graduating but know of people who are or will be. It shows compassion and time taken for someone you care about. Hopefully, this gives someone out there a little creative inspiration.